thread to love blur

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: thread to love blur

Post by sunshine »

:lol:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I only said that Andy because you previously said ballads don't do much for you emotionally - you're more likely to cry at an upbeat song or something - oh and I was also basing that on your hatred on one of the most beautiful Suede songs ever written (The Next Life)... but let's not go THERE again!!!!... :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

It's true, a lot of ballads come off as sappy tearjerkers, but when you find a good one...

And it's true that sadness doesn't make me cry so much as brilliant writing does...Bob Dylan's "Brownsville Girl" isn't particularly sad, but just about every other line makes me go, "Wow," and it amazes me that language is sufficient to contain those sorts of ideas and emotions, and it amazes me that that language can be crammed into a pop song (albeit an 11 minute one). I guess you could say that I cry when I'm in awe of something.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Dog Man Star...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

"The Two Of Us" is magnificent indeed, as is "Still Life" (though sometimes I agree with John Harris that the ending is ridiculously campy...then again, I like camp, so...)

I love Black & Blue and Asphalt World too...but none of DMS has actually made me cry. It HAS made me want to throw myself off a bridge (you see, one 4th of July, I was walking along a bridge, waiting for the fireworks to begin, and I was listening to that album on repeat...)
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

crying to songs... :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Yeah, it's so terrible to be in touch with one's emotions.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I'd NEVER describe 'STill life' as camp - maybe 'jaw dropping, epic, magnificent, dynamic, emotional, awe-inspiring'... never ever camp!!! When I think of the word 'camp' I think FGTH, Boy George, Communards, Erasure, Gloria Gaynor, Village People...

Suede don't do camp - despite the sexual ambiguity surrounding the band and some of their songs... Some of their videos are more camp than the songs themselves...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Part of the definition of camp, plagiarized from Wikipedia (!):

"ostentation so extreme as to have perversely sophisticated appeal"

...I think that fits. And as someone who's heard too many Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals, I wouldn't argue with anyone who'd say that Still Life wouldn't be musically out of place in one of 'em.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

no.... I think you'll find it's far too dark and cutting yet beautiful a song to appear in some glitzy faux emotional smaltzy fucking Andrew Lloyd Webber musical... However good or successful the blo0ke is with musicals, seriously, put a Suede song in a musical and I wouldn't be a Suede fan anymore - maybe the Alisha's Attic version would do well in a musical but hmmm - you know, I can see where you're coming from Andy, really I can but fuck me - musicals just shout naff and annoying to me - showbizzy, dahling, self satisfied, smug bollox... People singing a play instead of acting it just drives me fucking bonkers!!! As I said, all well and good when it comes to 'kids' based musicals (wizard of oz, willy wonka, mary poppins), but trying to do something bold and over the top and glamourous or otherwise really serious just... fuck I hate it!!!... 'Still Life' is dark, brooding, epic, blank, sad, desperate... as I previously said, perfect for my funeral!!!!... The end orchestral part of the song I admit is 'musical lite' and is actually my least favourite part of the song...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...yeah, I was really talking about the end part, as I said in my original post. Those lyrics would definitely NOT fit in any musical (or the voice, for that matter!).

So we really agree.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

if you say so...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

indeed... :roll:
some albino
Passenger (Business Class)

Post by some albino »

To come back on topic here as well, Blur had their moments, and Parklife is a great album, but they irritated me a lot as well with horrible songs like Song 2 or whatever or Music is my radar, or boring things like Beetle bum. Don't know if if have the titles correct. Just overrated in general. They did a great thing on their last album though with Out of time. Very beautiful.