Your top 10...non-Suede albums/compilations/box sets

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Your top 10...non-Suede albums/compilations/box sets

Post by mark »

He failed to convince me that his example were of good lyrics!!! Nothing close to Brett in terms of lyrics, no depth, no sense, no interest - oh and the last bit almost made me lol as I was expecting it to ryhme and instead it was just all clunky and fell flat!!! :lol: I was like :shock: :? And this is somehow good lol!!! Man you need to go back and listen to DMS ASAP Andrew!!! :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Ok, here's a bona fide attempt at listing superior lyricists:

Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Townes Van Zandt
Leonard Cohen
Johnny Rotten
Jarvis Cocker
Ice Cube
Lawrence
Howard Devoto
Neil Tennant
Ian Curtis (I still stand by "Ceremony," even if out of context)
Elvis Costello
Ian McCulloch
Andy Partridge
Kate Bush
Howard Ashman (suck it!)

Give me a chance to consult my .mp3 player and I'll come up with four more. :P

(Re: DMS, can someone please tell me what "Still Life" is about?)
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

(I was tempted to say "Liz Frazer" just to piss you off. :D )
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Liz Frazer???!!! :mrgreen: I LOVED her in the Carry On films!!!! :lol: :D :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Just for the record, I certainly don't think Brett's a bad lyricist...far from it! The wordplay on the first two albums is simply delightful...and goofy as they are, the lyrics to the next two albums are wonderfully sleazy and perfect for the music.

Ok, and admittedly, in the end, I'd probably rank him above some of the people on that imprompteau list I gave.

No idea what the Carry On films are. I'm hesitant to ask, knowing you!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:lol: learning to know you!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

goofy???!!! omg whatever!! :lol:

Anyway, Carry On films are british instituaions!!! Loved and loathed in equal measure they were a series of about 30 or so 'bawdy' comedy films made throughout the 1960's and 1970's known for their love of double entendre's, sex puns and fun, farcical stories :) Based on a variety of different subjects (ranging from hosipitals to holidays abroad, the police force, dracula and james bond parodies) they were hugely popular (over here!) mainly because they were lighthearted entertainment that was suitable for all ages (despite the double meanings of some gags!!!)...

And in fact it wasn't all sauciness there were also some actually very cleverly written jokes even though they often get forgotten about!!! However because it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo british I don't think it probably carried very well abroad!!! That having been said your very own US comedy legend Phil Silvers was brought in as the lead star in the movie Carry On Follow That Camel (about the french foriegn legion!)... And it was reknowned for it's top british comedy actor cast of legends in british sitcom and radio including Sid James, Kenneth Williames, Joan Sims, Hattie Jacques and Frankie Howerd (yeah I know you've probably heard of none of them - philistine!!! :roll: )...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_%28film_series%29
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

sunshine wrote::lol: learning to know you!
Like in that Soft Cell song? :shock:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

And yeah, marky, neevr heard of any of those people...you're speaking to someone who's not even all that fond of Monty Python, so...

And you don't think "Walking like a killer/She/Injecting marajuana/She is bad/She is bored/She is bony, she is/She/Whoo-hoo!" is goofy (and orgasmic)?
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

lol mark... i nevcer heard of those things neither!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I'm not surprised at that at all sun!!!! You don't even know who Alison Moyet is!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: It's lucky you're not teaching media studies (or anything to do with modern british culture for that matter!!!!) :roll:

I dunno whether or not i'd say goofy Andrew, but I like the fact you use the word goofy!!!! :mrgreen:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Frankly, I love the dissing-on-sunshine that's going on here. One of the great marvels of the Internet is how quickly an innocuous (and idiotically trivial) discussion can degenerate so quickly into personal attacks, even facetious ones. :D
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Oh, and if not "goofy," than what word, pray tell?*

*I normally wouldn't use the phrase "pray tell," but you made me all self-conscious about word usage, so there it is.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

he is so easy to entertain!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:lol: :P

And the word i'd use is inspired Andrew!!!!! :D :wink: