Black history month...what a crock

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Black history month...what a crock

Post by mark »

You have every right to make 'suggestions' but clearly final say goes to brett (after he's rung up Bernard to check if it's ok with him too!!!) :lol: :wink: But retrospective changes in lyrics is out of the question - and he's a stickler for his cliches - I spoke to him recently and he said that 'she live in a house she stupid as a mouse' is non negotiable - the sillier the better as far as he's concerned, that is why 'elephant man' for instance goes completely untouched - too much inteference and it will be a HARD whack over your bare botty with a cat o' 9 tails young man!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :twisted:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:P
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:You have every right to make 'suggestions' but clearly final say goes to brett (after he's rung up Bernard to check if it's ok with him too!!!) :lol: :wink: But retrospective changes in lyrics is out of the question - and he's a stickler for his cliches - I spoke to him recently and he said that 'she live in a house she stupid as a mouse' is non negotiable - the sillier the better as far as he's concerned, that is why 'elephant man' for instance goes completely untouched - too much inteference and it will be a HARD whack over your bare botty with a cat o' 9 tails young man!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :twisted:

...so I can't make him rerecord Trash (again!) with the "tits" line? Because when I sing along, that's the way I always sing it.

And hey, I wouldn't change a word of Savoir Faire anyway...like you said, the key to that song is that it IS silly. Ditto for Elephant Man.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

'Trash' with '"tits"???!!! Don't you mean 'Beautiful Ones'???!!! :? :? :? :?: :roll: I LOVE 'Savoir Faire', and most of that album!!!....
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:lol:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:'Trash' with '"tits"???!!! Don't you mean 'Beautiful Ones'???!!! :? :? :? :?: :roll: I LOVE 'Savoir Faire', and most of that album!!!....

Err, you're right. I feel really stupid now.

What parts of Head Music don't you like, dare I ask? If you say any of the last three songs, I don't think we can be friends anymore. :P
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

not new the bit about feeling stupid for you, eh! :lol:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

shut it raincloud!!!! :x :evil:

erm... well actually i like most of that album - even the title track is ok - and the last 3 songs are amongst my favourites silly!!!! I also really love the 'different' songs like Hi Fi, Savoir and Asbestos... yes, I do even like Crack even though a lot think it was a waste of time - i love the emptiness and loneliness and despair in that song!!!... elephant ma n is stupid fun but i'm not so keen on the recording - and 'down' despite having a great sound is kinda slow - i much prefer the live version - also the lyrics are a bit.... hmm... although I like the chorus A LOT!!!... :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:shut it raincloud!!!! :x :evil:

erm... well actually i like most of that album - even the title track is ok - and the last 3 songs are amongst my favourites silly!!!! I also really love the 'different' songs like Hi Fi, Savoir and Asbestos... yes, I do even like Crack even though a lot think it was a waste of time - i love the emptiness and loneliness and despair in that song!!!... elephant ma n is stupid fun but i'm not so keen on the recording - and 'down' despite having a great sound is kinda slow - i much prefer the live version - also the lyrics are a bit.... hmm... although I like the chorus A LOT!!!... :D

I agree about Crack...I honestly think it's lonelier and more despairing than anything on DMS...I think I've said that before.

Down might be my favorite song, though...I like the slowness. I don't think Elephant Man is as stupid as people make it out to be...what's your beef with the recording?

I actually think that two of the singles are among the weakest tracks...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

with elephant man, the recording, the guitars, just sound a little thin... i mean i know punk is meant to be thin and that's one of the nearest suede punk songs but - the recording is thinner than the rest - probably because it was recorded differently to the rest of the songs on the album...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:with elephant man, the recording, the guitars, just sound a little thin... i mean i know punk is meant to be thin and that's one of the nearest suede punk songs but - the recording is thinner than the rest - probably because it was recorded differently to the rest of the songs on the album...

I honestly never noticed that it sounded different...I still don't, actually. I just read about it in the biography, though....

I think the album would have been much better if some of the B-sides had been included. I mean, you can make a case for that being true for ALL Suede albums, but with the others, the B-sides tend to be "artier" and just not fitting for the mood of the album (though I'd prefer that the debut ended with To The Birds instead of...well, we won't go there!). With HM, though, I think you can find slots for Popstar, Killer, Leaving, and Bored (perhaps minus the "shotgun mic" vocal effect) at the expense of some of the lesser songs...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

hmmm interesting!!! I actually really like the final 4 b-sides amongst the most - Let Go, Since You Went Away, Situations and Read My Mind... I guess of those 4 the first 2 don't really fit the HM style though!!!.... And Leaving was always great, like This Time, it reminds me of This Time but i'm not quite sure why!!!!... :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQ6qBfukU4 Nice to see Alex deputising for Neil when he was sick during the HM tour here... good vid despite it being lip-synched and dodgy quality recording!!! hmmm Alex or Neil, Alex or Neil, Alex or Neil... I thought Suede would never be the same without Neil when Alex joined but now I kinda miss Alex not being in the band!!!!... :shock: :? :(