The Julie Andrews appreciation thread

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Re: The Julie Andrews appreciation thread

Post by SoGone »

It almost looks like Audrey's holding a dildo...then you see it's just a candle...

Never seen The Love Bug...but come on, throughout the whole movie, all the kids do is think of themselves and shun their parents. "Stay with us, Mary!" they plead and sulk, even though she told them from the start she wouldn't stay forever...

...I think Mary and Bert might have some weird psuedo-pimp-hooker arrangement, and drugs probably play a part in that. Think of it...Bert's always trying to do these magical things, but it's not until Mary does her thing that his "jobs" as sidewalk artist and chimney sweep actually take on magical aspects...

(There was somewhere I was going with that, but I'm feeling really shitty today and not in the mood to finish it.)
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

A non-Julie observation about My Fair Lady:

"On The Street Where You Live" an its attendant scenes are stalker-ish and sort of creepy.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I'm determined that they shun their parents only because the parents are incompetant arseholes - god knows how he manages to run that bank - he may be clever but he has no people skills whatsoever (sunshine anyone??!!!)...

Don't worry about not finishing it... I think acid has to be involved somewhere!!!... Which leads me into Willy Wonka (the original film) .... maybe I should have started a new topic but jeeze there are plenty of those around here already!!!... Watched that film tonight - love it - Gene Wilder comes across as geuninely unhinged at times!!! - especially when he is going a bit mad on that boat thing in the chocloate river!!!!... And how come it has a 'Univeral' certificate watchable for all ages and yet you see the projection of a chicken getting its head chopped off in the tunnel sequence???!!!... :shock: :shock: :shock: :o
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Which came first...the parents' negligence or the children's brattiness?

I watched Willy Wonka at least ninety times when I was a kid, probably more...the song he sings when he shows them into the first room always made me sad.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Which song was that - the one about 'sampling paradise'???... god i only watched it last night and already i've forgotten it!!!! :shock: :roll: :( All I can remember is 'cheer up charlie' and 'i've got a golden ticket!'... both REALLY annoying songs!!!... :roll:

oh and I still blame the parents - kids are meant to be bratty, parents aren't meant to be negligent - even if they are the kids from hell!!!!... :shock: oh and the parents created them so I blame the genes!!!!... :P
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Yeah, I think that's it..."If you wanna see paradise, simply look around and view it," or something like that...

I read this one hilarious rant that talked about how Grandpa Joe is the true villain of Willy Wonka...he's the one who convinces Charlie to drink the fizzy lifting drinks, he's all selfish about the ticket (hey, Joe, it's not YOUR ticket...it's Charlie's), etc.

Anyway, good points about the Poppins kids...but I still say going up to your parents and effectively saying, "You've failed, this is the Mom I want" is evil. Reminds me of that Far Side cartoon where the kid finds a genie in a bottle and shrinks his parents down to lab specimens & traps them in jars.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...holy fuck, in the movie, Freddie waits outside Higgins' house and sings to Eliza for MONTHS! That's just fucked up.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...ok, Eliza's a bitch. She sings that song to Freddy: "Don't talk of love, show me." Then when he tries to kiss her, she runs away.

Fuck it. Maybe Higgins was right.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

ok well i don't know My Fair Lady other than it stars Rex Harrison but i'd camp outside and sing my sweet tunes to you if it gave me the chance of a kiss!!!... :shock: 8)
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I have a man crush on Rex Harrison right now.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:lol: I KNEW there was a little gay inside of you!!! :D - what's his name???!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote::lol: I KNEW there was a little gay inside of you!!! :D - what's his name???!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

???? Whose name?

Back to Mary Poppins, if George Banks' life is so consistent and organized, does that mean he sings that song every day when he returns home from work?

Also, I can accept that he might work 7 days a week, but what does he do during bank holidays?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

For George 'bank' holidays is cockney rhyming slang ... :wink: That's how he spends his 'alone' time...

And the 'a little gay inside of you' was a joke.... when i said what's his name... I was of course reffering to being a bit gay but also 'a little gay inside of you' sounds quite literal... As an instance, the 'little gay 'inside of you' could be elton john - you know, inside you... Man, it wasn't great in the first place but it sounds even more pathetic when you have to explain it!!!... :roll: :(
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...if it was true Cockney rhyming slang, wouldn't the intended word have to rhyme with "holiday?"

Yeah...I won't comment further on the "what's his name" thing!!!!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Well there is the rhyming of barclays bank - so maybe it should be him having a barclays!!!... :roll: whatever!!! :roll: