Is Brett really saying "Let's die together?"?

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Is Brett really saying "Let's die together?"?

Post by SoGone »

...I always thought this was a misprint in my copy of Stay Together (it's the American version, with all the fun that entails), but it's repeated in DMS...is that really part of the chorus?
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Is Brett really saying "Let's die together?"?

Post by mark »

wow i just checked the lyrics book - it does say 'let's die together'!!!!!!!... wtf is all that about???.... surely it's always been 'stay together'???!!!!...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Thank you! So maybe I'm not going crazy! Or maybe this is why the band profess to hate the song so much...they know about that crappy lyric!
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

im sure it's always been sung as stay together... That is clearly wrong... watching the promo vido again there isn't even the word 'let's' before the supposed 'die together'... listening to the song he definitely sings "stay together, let's stay these days are ours. stay together, two hearts under the skyscrapers"... so that's just something very weird... But then i've noticed at various times the smae thing, certain wrong lyrics printed in booklets... Maybe it was conceived as that originally I dunno...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

It just seems odd that the error would have been preserved in the deluxe edition booklet...does your copy of the EP have lyrics?

And yeah, I definitely always heard it as "stay together" in the chorus' third line...I guess you can sort of think it sounds like "die" if you really stretch your imagination, but then it still sounds more like "stie" (a My Fair Lady-like mispronunciation).
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

in the music video yhou can even see from his mouth he is singing 'stay' and no i don't have lyrics in the EP... however i do have the book 'the words' of brett anderson somewhere - although i'm not sure if stay together is even included in that...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

bizarrely virtually all the 'lyrics websites' I have looked ta have that line too - but then i'm guessing that's copied from the original booklet... I'm stumped!!!... :?