16th October, the garage

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

16th October, the garage

Post by sunshine »

sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: 16th October, the garage

Post by sunshine »

Oh My Lord!!!! What a sweety and really excellent suede gig tonight!!
They played: Moving, Snowblind, Flashboy, Starts & Ends, Filmstar, Trash, Nitrate, Heroine, He's Dead, Float Away, Daddy's Speeding, Drowners, Hollywood Life, Painted People, Another No One, Strangers, So Young, Metal Mickey, Beautiful Ones
Encore: Hit Me (To The Birds was on the setlist but not played)

Photos to follow!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

Some sweat around! And WE loved it!
Attachments
garage 01.jpg
garage 01.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 02.jpg
garage 02.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 03.jpg
garage 03.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 04.jpg
garage 04.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 05.jpg
garage 05.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 06.jpg
garage 06.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 07.jpg
garage 07.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 08.jpg
garage 08.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 09.jpg
garage 09.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 10.jpg
garage 10.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 11.jpg
garage 11.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 12.jpg
garage 12.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 13.jpg
garage 13.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 14.jpg
garage 14.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 15.jpg
garage 15.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 16.jpg
garage 16.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 17.jpg
garage 17.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
garage 18.jpg
garage 18.jpg (63.1 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Arturo

Post by Arturo »

Thanks for the pictures sunshine. These small venues shows are always the best. I guess some people fainted in there
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

fainted because of the heat... and because of brett indeed! :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

16th October 2013
Live Reviews: Suede, The Garage, London
This is no mere greatest hits run-through.
By Shefali Srivastava
Is there anything new left to say about Suede? Trailblazing pioneers of Britpop, only to be later overshadowed, cover stars of the now-defunct Melody Maker before their first single release, the infamous departure of songwriter/axe-man Bernard Butler, struggles with drug addiction… all old news. So then, why in 2013 are the unluckiest band of the 90s still playing sold-out gigs?
Nostalgia plays an undeniable part. One look around the venue serves as confirmation, and the reception that’s given to the band when they walk onstage is one that’s usually reserved for returning war heroes – a burst of affectionate relief over a glorious homecoming.
But memories don’t tell the whole story, and this is no mere greatest hits run-through. Suede show no mercy and make the hits – old and new – come hard and fast. Shooting off the starting block with the adrenaline-soaked ‘Moving’, before effortlessly shifting into new album track ‘Snowblind’, an indie rocker with an 80s edge of seductive and ambivalent desire, powered by a chorus full of euphoric misery, when Anderson cries out "This love is lifting / The blood is lifting you", his voice soars far above and hangs in the air, resonating: it’s an almost spiritual experience.
Clad in black and still showing off a lithe and sinuous physique, Anderson’s androgynous 90s heartthrob status hasn’t diminished much with age, and he struts, sways and preens like a magnificently sweaty peacock, literally oozing sex appeal, with the energy of his younger self coursing through his veins. Connecting with fans in the front row with arms outstretched towards the lucky ones, it’s clear he adores their adoration as much as they adore him. By the time ‘So Young’ and ‘Beautiful Ones’ rolls around, everyone in the crowd is roaring back the lyrics, and he laps it up, grinning. There’s an amusing moment where swinging his mic cable like a nunchuk on the dark and sleazy ‘Filmstar’, part threat, part come-hither, Anderson almost whacks someone in the head.
Classics such as the subtly weird psychedelia of ‘Animal Nitrate’ or brassy glam-pop stomper ‘Trash’ are equalled by the wonderful restraint of newcomers like ‘It Starts And Ends With You’, and even though final song ‘Hit Me’ gets a slightly messy outing, sweaty Bretty and co. still hit us with all their majesty of killer hooks and killer choruses one last time. In case there was any doubt remaining – they’ve still got it.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1220/35/

SUEDE. London Garage. 16 October 2013.
Written by Mark Reed
Sunday, 27 October 2013
The best Suede show I have seen in 10 years. Wow.
Moving – Snowblind – Killing Of A Flashboy – It starts And Ends With You – Film Star – Trash – Animal Nitrate – Heroine – He's Dead – Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away – Daddy's Speeding – This Hollywood Life – The Drowners – Painted People – Another No One – For The Strangers – So Young – Metal Mickey – The Beautiful Ones – Hit Me
At last. With “Bloodsports” seven months old, Suede continue with an unusual approach, but one that will reap them dividends : simply going out there and playing live pretty much anywhere that will have them. This, an intimate warm up for their largest UK tour in eleven years, sees Suede headlining the weeny London Garage to around 400 people before they trek to venues ten times the size across the UK and Europe. And how does it feel?
It feels like the best live Suede show have played in at least a decade. In terms of feel, the nearest set of Suede shows it reminds me of is the immortal 5 night run at the London ICA 10 years ago, where the band play rarely heard songs last played in 2003, or, in the case of the unexpected, swashbuckling, riproaring guitar rampage of “Painted People”, 1993 – over half my life ago.
Ostensibly a “Q Icon” Awards show, this really is Suede as they can be (and often aren't) : a concentrated dose of pop thrills, with a band not made of bored session musicians, but the core lineup they have held on and off since 1994, with Mat Osman and Simon Gilbert the bands permanent rhythm section, Richard Oakes on guitar – a spot he had held for over 19 years – and Neil Codling, the permathin stick insect who never sweats and seemingly can play anything. You've never heard many of these songs with twin guitars and a sweat-drenched 47 year old Brett Anderson seemingly as vibrant as ever. It's not even the end of the first song but the time sweat pours off each member and Anderson is up to his neck in the crowd. For those of us with long memories, it was like this, exactly like this, during the bands first run of breathless fervour in late 1992, where the band stole the crown of the hour from Morrissey and became near-instantly a classic, brilliant band. When was the last time you heard “Moving”? “Another No One”? “Painted People” in popular live rotation? Either never (in the middle case), or 1993. And the band acquit them flawlessly.
Oakes, on the other hand, is the man who saved Suede when they were written off and he was regarded as, at best, a talented mimic instead his own man : the only other band who had a member leave mid second-album and continue with such vibrancy? Pink Floyd.
In the meantime, the band power through : with five songs from “Bloodsports” the record is now established in the canon of Suede's history – unlike many 'comeback' records, it's a solid, concise, and powerful record, and the songs on it – and played here – fit perfectly in the context of the rest of material. I miss “Barriers” - the great opening track of any Suede record, and the setlist omits any song from the often-rubbish “A New Morning” and the underrated “Head Music”, with a solid attack of gems from the first three albums, a handful of b-sides, and half the new record. Codling, without an ounce of heat, stares curious at the clamouring hands of people who ought to know better, whilst a sweat drenched Anderson leaps into the arms of the crowd singing his head off with abandon. At one point, he even asks for the doors to be open – it's an oppressive fist of heat. By the end, it's a solid line of hits now and then, as the band clamber exhausted off stage after 90 minutes. Ultimately, this is one of the best Suede shows I have ever seen – and the first I have experienced that feels like the bands first incarnation, with the same sense of urgency and the same undeniable connection to the core elements of an artist : this music matters.