13th June - Thetford Forest, Suffolk

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

13th June - Thetford Forest, Suffolk

Post by sunshine »

In that lovely High Lodge, Thetford Forest, they played: Introducing the Band, We are the Pigs, Heroine, Wild Ones, Trash, Nitrate, Filmstar, By the sea, Drowners, Flashboy, She's in Fashion, Strangers, So Young, Metal Mickey, New Generation, Beautiful Ones
Encore: Stay Together

It was such a really nice place to play, even if if was in the middle of nowhere!! Band seemed in form and very happy... and the audience who had been sitting having a picnic, packed their bits when suede came on stage to get closer.
Highlight of the night: the new generation... I had a 10ish year old boy coming to stand with me by the barrier, and he was loving it!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: 13th June - Thetford Forest, Suffolk

Post by sunshine »

Some pics
Attachments
brandon 01.jpg
brandon 01.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 02.jpg
brandon 02.jpg (67.81 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 03.jpg
brandon 03.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 04.jpg
brandon 04.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 05.jpg
brandon 05.jpg (58.48 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 06.jpg
brandon 06.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 07.jpg
brandon 07.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 08.jpg
brandon 08.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 09.jpg
brandon 09.jpg (52.71 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 10.jpg
brandon 10.jpg (65.31 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
brandon 11.jpg
brandon 11.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

June 11, 2014
Thetford: I never thought we’d work together again, Suede bassist Mat Osman interviewed
Suede kick-started the Britpop revolution, setting the Noughties alight with hit after hit before calling it a day in 2003. Their reunion in 2010-11, followed by the release of Bloodsports in 2013 to overwhelming reviews is considered one of the greatest rock comebacks.
“If you’d asked me the day before we got back together did I think I’d ever work with the rest of the band again, I’d have said no,” admits bassist Mat Osman. “It sounds silly, but I’d never really liked re-formed bands, I’m not sure anyone in the band does really; I think it’s really rare it’s done for good reasons and I was quite happily doing other stuff. We were really lucky the starts aligned with the Teenage Cancer Trust gig. It was at the Albert Hall, which we loved and was for a charity that we’d had a lot to do with before and knew were great. I think if it hadn’t been that, if someone said there’s a bit pot of money to play Wembley I think we’d have all said no; it’s never really been about that.”
Osman felt if the gig was the last thing they ever did together, having no idea whether anyone would even turn up, it was a really beautiful poignant way to finish it. “Halfway through the gig I can remember looking round at the others and thinking **** we’ve got to do this again.”
I’m the first in a line of interviews; talking to journalists isn’t what he got into music for he laughs, adding one of the weird things about becoming a musician is how much time you spend on unmusical things.“One of the great things about re-forming is you say to yourself and each other ‘right, none of the nonsense’. You can get so caught up (in it) the first time round, you end up with it being at the forefront. The thing about doing it in 2014, making and paying for your own records, all of those things is you have an incredible freedom to do exactly what you want. We don’t do 200 gigs a year anymore and we don’t tour for 18 months - now we do what we want.”
Asked if he’s enjoying Suede more this time around, Osman says it’s swings and roundabouts. “The fact it could finish tomorrow is actually a lovely thing because it raises the bar a little, when you know every gig, every record might be your last, It makes it feel more special. Definitely the fact you have that kind of control... (although) we were always pretty good at not listening to record companies and stuff like that. When you’re in a big band it has a momentum of its own, by the last record I think we’d got to the point that it was fairly ordinary, workaday and it’s the most ridiculous thing in the world to feel ordinary. The minute it feels like that then you should probably get out.”
The music industry, the music scene has changed, but Osman isn’t worried where Suede fit it. That’s really a job for journalists he says. “Again that’s one of the nice things. I have no idea really where we fit, I don’t think anyone really can. It’s such a strange thing, I’ve given up trying to imagine what we seem like to the world. We’re just making records and playing gigs. People seem to enjoy it.”
He admits it’s difficult not to reflect on all that when you pass 40. When they started out the first time around it was about so much more than the music. It was about the way they looked, the way they acted... “I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. It’s an incredible experience as a 20-year-old to go through all that stuff, having said that I wouldn’t want to do it again. Yeah, it’s very rare to get a second chance to do something you love and do it a completely different way so I’m not really fussed about where we sit now. I think we’ve always sat quite aside from the British music scene anyway so I’m happy to stay out on the verge.”
He thinks the band are better on stage these days. When they toured before, Osman, who’d never been abroad before then, says the first three years of playing was like being on holiday, a moveable party with all that entails. "The early years of Suede, we were probably fantastic 75% of the time and kind of rickety 25% of the time, depending on what time of day it was or whatever. Nowadays we’re pretty focused. Again you get to an age where it’s like there’s only one thing in the world I really do well and better than most people and that’s being Suede. We live kind of basically like monks for 22-and-a-half-hours a day and then for an hour-and-a-half that’s what counts. I think we probably sound better and more energetic than we did 20 years ago.”
The 40-odd remaining songs that didn’t fit in with the Bloodsports concept might make it on to further albums. Osman says they’ve recorded a whole load of tracks for the next record and gone away writing again. “We’ll be back in the studio at the end of the summer, probably when the festivals are over. I really want to make a record; with Bloodsports it was kind of slow going until about three quarters of the way through it. Then, just suddenly, I think we remembered how to be Suede again. That’s just kept going so everyone’s been writing and writing... but we have a summer of playing forests and stuff first.”
Suede play Thetford Forest on Friday, June 13, with special guest Ed Harcourt and support from The Hosts. The last time they played anywhere near here was Latitude. Not sure how it would go, thinking it was one of the more restraining festivals, they were blown away by the reaction. “It was a proper crowd; what was lovely was no-one had their mobile phones out. It was about halfway through I thought ‘everyone seems really animated’. Then I realised It was because none of them were watching it through a four-inch screen; that was quite a moment for us. “The next year we did a gig in Hampstead Heath and I don’t know if we’d have done that without Latitude because people had said it might be a bit kind of picnic blanket (scene) which we’re not really good at. So far these kind of (shows) haven’t been like that at all, it’s been properly messy.”
Thetford Forest fans can expect 20 or so of their best songs blasted out as loud as they can play them. “We change the set list every night. One of the nice things is we’ve got about 80 songs we’ve played in the last year-and-a-half so we can be pretty free and easy about what’s good for the setting. Having said that, we like to try and tear it up a bit whatever the setting, it’s not like it’s just going to be a bunch of ballads because we’re in a forest.”
http://www.eadt.co.uk/entertainment/the ... _1_3639045
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

June 14, 2014
Review: Suede, Forestry Commission Live, Thetford Forest, June 13
It must have been a surreal experience for Suede.
In their early days they played sweaty student unions, then hit the festival circuit and last night, 25 years on, they headlined at the Forestry Commission Live gig at High Lodge, Thetford Forest.
Before the band came on, the audience sat around their picnic blankets dunking crudites in hummus, drinking Pimms and basking in the warm evening sun, while the warm-up acts played in the background.
The queue for the bar was almost nonexistent.
But Suede have grown up and so have their audience.
When my husband first saw them during his university days, he would have been three back from the stage, thrashing around with a beer in his hand.
Last night, he lifted his six-year-old daughter onto his shoulders and danced around the field, enjoying the chance to share a slice of his youth with us both.
Suede came on stage at 9.15pm, and one by one the picnics blankets were rolled up, the chairs folded and the audience moved closer to the stage.
We had been worried about how our little one would react, so went prepared with ear defenders - thinking she might find the noise a little disturbing.
Far from it, she insisted we join the crowd in moving forward, and given half a chance, would have been in her father’s favourite spot - three back from the stage.
And as we got lost in the music, she cheekily lifted her ear defenders off so she could fully immerse herself in the music.
Started slowly the band built up to We are the Pigs, and this proved to be the turning point which reawakened their fans
Lead singer Brett Anderson was on fire, his voice strong and his stage presence as electric as it was in the early days.
Half an hour in, he upped the tempo and launched into what is probably their most well-known hit, She’s in Fashion, this was the highlight for most last night.
The only criticism was that Suede’s set was erring on the short side at around an hour and a quarter, including an encore.
Afterwards, we strolled back to the car - which was barely 50 metres from the gate - visiting the cleanest portable toilets ever.
As gigs go, it was on the sedate side, but a perfect introduction into the world of live music for little ones. Next stop: Glasto.
Natalie Sadler
http://www.eadt.co.uk/entertainment/mus ... _1_3642854
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

Suede, reviewed by David Bale.
Britpop pioneers Suede played to an enthusiastic crowd at Thetford Forest last night, with charismatic front man Brett Anderson’s voice as special as ever.
Among the highlights were renditions of “Animal Nitrate” and “The Wild Ones’’, both singles from the band’s heyday from 20 years ago.
The largely middle-aged audience showed that fans of a certain age will always have a soft spot for them, though perhaps frontman Brett Anderson was a bit taken aback that many members of the audience had brought picnics with them to the concert.
The band first shot to fame in the early 1990s and their early singles and albums topped the charts, including “We Are the Pigs”, “This Hollywood Life” and “Killing of a Flashboy”.
The band r-formed for some well-received live shows in 2010-11.
And last year their sixth studio album “Bloodsports” was released to overwhelmingly positive reviews, and was marked as one of the great rock comebacks.
Last night they reeled out many of their greatest hits to an ecstatic crowd.
Earlier, support acts Ed Harcourt and The Hosts had also been well received.
Suede are playing gigs this summer as part of the Forestry Commission’s Forest Live concert series where an eclectic mix of acts perform in magnificent woodland locations around the country.
http://www.edp24.co.uk/what-s-on/review ... _1_3644854