to suede or not to suede...

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
Brettspiel
Passenger (Business Class)

to suede or not to suede...

Post by Brettspiel »

here they are, my random thoughts...

Discuss.

After discovering this brilliant band and working really hard on getting my hands on all the stuff available, listening to them constantly for about half an hour, I was so pissed to have missed them. Really. The band was over at that time (2007/2008).

I adored Bretts work and went to his shows whenever I could (I saw – let me think...8 of his acoustic gigs, all over Europe) and I still do – even more now, that he's got three great albums to puzzle setlists together from which are amazing. I prefer his all-solo shows pretty much to the ones where he did suede songs and solo songs mixed.

All was well... well, for a while... Rumours and whispering about suede appeared throughout the year 2009 and it got a little more suspicious than before imo. I didn't rule it out completely. And the the bomb fell:

suede to play a one-off for charity!

I was like “WHAT? WHERE? WHEN? Holy shit, I must see them ! I must be part of it!” I got so excited, listened to suede again constantly. Then there were the Brett shows in January and February... hell, I loved it, this was so outstanding, amazing, adorable, fucking great that I wondered how anyone ever could want suede back, when they can have this. And I got a bit worried. I wanted “my” brett to be that solo-artist he was then, I wanted him to keep all his time, creativity, energy, confidence to himself, for his career. I didn't want him to go back to the music industry (-empress), to be left alone with his set of delicate fans.

Me not being able to go to the RAH show suddenly wasn't the tragedy it used to be anymore. But then, the 100 club gig came onto the schedule – that was different. I knew I could make this and put a lot of effort into achieving it.

And I was there... and it hit my like a hammer, I tumbled out that gig not believing what I witnessed... that band sounded and looked as if the past ten years hadn't existed. And my need for them to go on was revitalised.

Brett could easily do one record each year, if every second or third would be a suede album. This year solo, then suede, then two years solo … you get the point.

I was overwhelmed by the all-overall warm praising reactions, fans and press-wise... and them, too! I think as long as they can have fun with that precious little thing called suede – I'm in!!! and they do have fun!

I considered that thing in March as a test and they passed the test more than well... no I'm curious what happens next!

And as long its not a Tears reunion , I'm fine with it!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: to suede or not to suede...

Post by sunshine »

a hard one, ute! I still have got mixed feelings!
Jan
Pilot

Post by Jan »

I think I made up my mind about this.

It is extremely tempting to wish for a new album, to wish for a new tour and for nostalgia to become real again. But the risks are too big.

A new album would be nice, but the chances for it are slim. A bigger problem is that a new album is unlikely to be as brilliant as the pre-ANM albums.

40-something and still wiggling on stage isn't going to be a pretty sight forever. At some stage, it's going to look pathetic. This might be sooner than you think.

The best would be to have a little farewell tour, concluding with a DVD with some live footage and the Simon-movie. Then declare Suede over, done, finished, completed.

Brett can go back to his marginal solo career (hopefully not making the same mistake again and playing Suede songs in solo concerts), the rest of the band can continue what they were doing before the RAH-reunion.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Jan wrote:40-something and still wiggling on stage isn't going to be a pretty sight forever. At some stage, it's going to look pathetic. This might be sooner than you think.
See Mick Jagger for more details (except change 40 something to 60 something!!!)...!!! :lol: :wink:

I don't really know what is best - i'll leave that up to Brett and the boys to decide - if they were to be looking to re-ignite the glory days that would be bound to fail because there are far too many people still waiting in the background with their knives out - it may not have seemed like it after the RAH gig but there are plenty who would love the opportunity to rip the idea of a proper comeback to pieces - and despite the current fans praise there would be plenty lining up to say "It's not as good as DMS, it's not as good without Bernard" etc, etc - it always happens...

If they wanted to do something new together and they believed it could work then cool - and if they came ip with something amazing of course it would be great...

But I think they've moved on and with Brett preparing his next album, Simon working on completing his video project and Richard ready to launch his work with Sean Mcghee it looks like things won't be going back... But it was amazing to get the opportunity to see them at RAH again - as soon as they appeared and started playing it really did feel as though they had never been away...!!

Oh and Ute - stop giving The Tears are hard time lol!!! I'd more than happily hear a studio version of Europe After The Rain!!!!
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

But: in one point they are still relavant: they should do another album just to prove they weren't forced to fade away with a downer like A New Morning. The last album (and Brett promised one 7 years ago)of a band should be a farewell with glory and dignity - a reason for the world to say "shame they left" - farewell tour attached and I would be in bliss!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Could come back and make an album even worse though!!!!.... And ANM was actually ok - just not great...

I get the feeling if they did do something new actually it could be really great... But we'll probably never know!!!
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

Brettspiel wrote:But: in one point they are still relavant: they should do another album just to prove they weren't forced to fade away with a downer like A New Morning. The last album (and Brett promised one 7 years ago)of a band should be a farewell with glory and dignity - a reason for the world to say "shame they left" - farewell tour attached and I would be in bliss!
I haven't thought about that much, but I guess that could be a very good cause to to one more. And for me it should be just ine album, but it could become THE album. I mean that makes them (to quote some other band that did the same) "ending on a high note, 'cause they deserved it so much.

Otherwise I'm with José... I have mixed feelings about a "permanent" and full comeback with several new albums, tours and stuff. I just don't know if I really wanted that right now, but ask me again in one year and it could've changed.
But I would be more than fine and pleased with some shows every other year.
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

but is ANM not only "okay", because everyone here around loves that band so much and wants to like this album? I play suede records to people, most of them like the first four a lot, but i haven't found one who was impressed by ANM...
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

It's a nice one, but honestly not very impressive.
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

I used to like the weaker album from my "other band" uptil they made a better one for their farewell... an impressive one, outstanding, the quality I was used to.

I am sure most of you would be happy with a follower to A New Morning which prooved their relevance and creativity and standing out!
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

exactly what I thought of Image
Jan
Pilot

Post by Jan »

Considering Brett's output in the last years, I seriously doubt a new Suede album would be any better than the less-than-good ANM.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Obsessions, Lost In TV and Astrogirl are GREAT suede songs - the rest are hit and miss and my mood depends on how much I like them (not brilliantly keen on Attitude myself but everyone seemed to love what they did after ANM - thought LTWYL was much better but everyone hates that so what do I know???!!!)...

I actually like the fact that Suede decided to do something a bit more reflective and a mix of electric, acoustic and vocal harmonies with ANM than another glam flash album like CU or HM - they needed to do somnething like that but it never really worked properly because they were never quite sure which direction to go in.... I really liked 'Refugees' having heard the live recording from Iceland Airwaves show but it would never have fitted...

Funny because at the time the music press actually gave it reasonable ratings too (nme 7/10, Q ***)... And I really liked the crispness and clarity of it - Astrogirl is one of my very favourite Suede songs...!

And I still like Lonely Girls so there!!!!! :x :P

Basically people don't like happy, happy suede!!! they like tortured, seedy, desperate, lonely, lovely, sexy, depressed, high, stoned, loved up suede... ANM was too nice for that!!! still like it but don't listen to it very often I admit - love the promo videos from it though!!! 8) :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

hmm... I do not think it is the right move (even if I love suede).
the 3 shows in march have lost their unique feeling just by adding the danish festival... people will still be expecting a new DMS... ir will never come even if we had magnificent CU and HM to follow that one up and a different ANM
brett is/was developing really well as a solo artist and I think the RAH should be a booster to his self confidence and a target of what he could achieve... but we should be looking to the future, not the past (for much that we love it)
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

omg - i'm shocked - very perceptive and insightful sun!!!! :wink: :D :D :D