best of reviews

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

best of reviews

Post by sunshine »

Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Re: best of reviews

Post by Gareth »

No surprised that Drowned in Sound give it a highly favourable review!

Although this quote was rather odd:
or the double entendre of 'Heroine', their 'Needle And The Damage Done'.
Not sure what he's on about here. The Living Dead might easily draw comparison with that particular Neil Young song, but I always thought Heroine was just abou w---ing...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

wanking??? I thought that was Love The Way You Love or Teenage Rose???!!! :? I just thought heroine was just a double entendre between the desire and need and aching for his 'heroine' - the woman or indeed the drug even though obviuosly there is a spelling difference!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

haha... love it... Gareth trying to be 'polite... and mark just writing it as it is!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

You should know me by now sun - I don't beat about the bush lol!!!! :lol: :shock: wow beat about the bush - that sounded like a double entendre in itself!!!! :shock: :o :P
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Post by Gareth »

Heheh well I just wasn't sure what would offend people. That was my second reference to it this week after all, don't particularly want to get a reputation, that's Mark's job :D

Never really thought of Heroine as being about drugs, other than the pun in the title...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Well having never touched drugs myself I wouldn't know but in terms of the drug I could imagine u would feel like ur "aching to see my heroine, aching been dying for hours and hours" - obvously there is the pun in the title but I also thought it was a clever acknowledgement of the double meaning right throughout the song!!!! I dunno lol - was just in my brain as a double meaning song I guess.... Well no obviously I think of it first and formost as a song about a female character but the idea of aching and dying for hours and hours desperate to see my heroine does make me think of that... what do I know lol???!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I thought it was about a guy who's "addicted" to this woman he can't have (I got the heroin/heroine pun too), and so he satisfies this need by wanking...

Unholy combination of your two interpretations?
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

(I mean, come on, there's no way those are anything but skin mags he's reading. The characters in those early Suede albums are pervies. :D )
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Post by Gareth »

I thought it was about a guy who's "addicted" to this woman he can't have (I got the heroin/heroine pun too), and so he satisfies this need by wanking...
Yep I think that sums it up pefectly, and like I said I think it's a long way from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvb65dCMjZI
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Yeah, I don't really get that comparison at all, and like you said, if there's a Suede song similar to The Needle, it's TLD.

(Still, it pains me to compare The Living Dead to a Neil Young song at all. It's like comparing "The Wild Ones" to "Baby One More Time.")
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Post by Gareth »

(Still, it pains me to compare The Living Dead to a Neil Young song at all. It's like comparing "The Wild Ones" to "Baby One More Time.")
I've got a lot of time for Neil Young myself, was great in Hyde Park last year and I've got a few albums. Still everyone's entitled to their opinion.

If this was 'The Other Place' at this point things would spiral out of control into massive fight about the merits of Neil Young and then poor old Vanessa would end up suspending us all...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Gareth wrote:If this was 'The Other Place' at this point things would spiral out of control into massive fight about the merits of Neil Young and then poor old Vanessa would end up suspending us all...
What's this "other place" I keep hearing about?

And hey, massive out-of-control fights can be entertaining. :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

loving your signature, SG!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »