The other day I saw a license plate that read "DMS-1994"

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Re: The other day I saw a license plate that read "DMS-1994"

Post by SoGone »

Whoa! This is awesome!

Now, if you're a fellow "Be Here Now" fan and think that "Gold Against The Soul" is an unfairly dismissed masterpiece...I think we'd really be getting somewhere!

(And I think you admitteded that, back in the day, you were a S/A/W fan, so maybe that counts.)
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:lol: i prefer blur to oasis...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Traitor sun!!! :evil: You know how much Brett hates 'chas & dave'!!!! :lol: Although I have to admit there are a few Blur songs I quite like.... omg you think i'm a S/A/W fan???!!! omg please kill me - well back in the day I was a stupid kid that bought the odd Kylie/Jason single but really I WAS young and clearly very stupid lol!!! :oops: :P

Be Here Now isn't a bad album other than it is way WAY too damn long!!!! not only a few songs too many but also virtually every song could do with a damn good editing (example 'All Around The World' which is a good 3 minutes or more too long!!!)...

And Gold Against The Soul is one of my favourite Manics albums!!! Apart from Roses, From Despair, Landslide and La Tristessa the title track and Drug Drug Druggy are also favs !!! :)
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

charmless man
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I used to think "Parklife" was it. Then I heard other Britpop stuff (Suede included) and it's pretty much fallen into disuse in these parts. Still, they completely destroy Elastica and Gene and Travis.

S/A/W is the kind of thing that I don't hate myself for liking because it's the kind of thing that, paradoxically, no one should like. It's blatantly cheap and soulless. I mean, "Cross My Broken Heart" makes no sense; it's not just a cheesy, bad lyric, it quite literally doesn't make any logical sense (why make her promise to keep the secret? Who the hell is she going to tell?). But f.a. if I don't love it anyway.

And "You Spin Me Round" is so ridiculous...it's too fast, too sneered, too over the top...and that's what makes it great (like "Electricity"!).

I <3 Bananarama, with or without S/A/W.

And I sort of like "Especially For You." Definitely not one of S/A/W's "finer" moments, but the verse melody is sweet enough.

I agree that most of BHN is too long; only "My Big Mouth" and "Don't Go Away" really work without the skip button...and the stretch of songs between Stand By Me and Don't Go Away is pretty awful...and the "reprise" is a wasted two minutes, and the intro to D'Ya Know What I Mean? is boring as fuck...but somehow I still rate the album. After that, though, it was all "What were they thinking?", just like post-Republic New Order.

Wait...you don't like Roses In The Hospital??? Either way, good to see someone else who loves Drug Drug Druggy!!! Even a lot of Manics diehards seem to hate that one, but I love it. Not a single weak track on that album, which is actually more than I can say for the rest of their discography.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Bananarama were lightweight talrentless bints (although a damn sight better and with far more attitude than the spice bitches!), neither Electricity nor You Spin Me Round are ridiculous, too fast or sneered, Elastica were better than what blur came up with on parklife (although i'd agree it would be very debatable as to whether they were actually better overall than blur) and S/A/W is just plain embarrassing full stop - I think Rick Astley was about the only half decent act and really he is totally laughable so that says it all!!!

And in fact I love Roses and the other 4 songs i mentioned apart from the title track and drug drug druggy!!!! What I was trying to say is that it goes without saying that the singles were great from that album but also I especially like those other tracks I mentioned :)
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

"Bananarama were lightweight talrentless bints"

I'll give you lightweight...I'm still up in the air about "talentless," because in a way it's true, but then they had co-writes on most of their material, and their two best covers completely destroy the originals ("He Was Really Sayin' Something" and "Venus").

"Elastica were better than what blur came up with on parklife "

Next you'll be saying that Eater were better than The Clash. :lol: :P

"S/A/W is just plain embarrassing full stop - I think Rick Astley was about the only half decent act and really he is totally laughable so that says it all"

I like Rick's first album a lot (although "Together Forever" really makes me cringe), though you're right, everything S/A/W-related is embarassing as fuck...and Dead Or Alive made some great singles (the Rip It Up comp, remixes and all, is one of the most entertaining records I own). Heck, although her voice is shite, the best Kylie singles are up there too (that one in French, that I can't spell the title of...just wonderful blissfully stupid pop).

Ok, cool about Gold Against The Soul. The title track is indeed mighty, another unfairly slagged off gem.

And "Life Becoming A Landslide" is one of my "that's the story of my life!" songs.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

headache! :shock: it's longer that some of the essays some kids produce!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

hahahhaha!!! Now we know why half these kids today get all these great grades in their exams - u can't be arsed to actually read their work and mark them properly because it causes you too much of a headache so you actually encourage them to write LESS rather than more and if it all gets too much for you sun you just give them a 'pass' or A grade or whatever just to spare you from having to open another packet of Anadin tablets!!!!! :lol: It really worries me that you're educating our future workforce!!!! :shock: :P A teacher who finds reading even a few paragraphs a chore!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :lol: :!:

Then again that Andrew does go on doesn't he???!!!! :lol: :roll: Just kidding Andy!!!! :wink: :mrgreen: And i'm sure Andrew 'Life Becoming A Landslide' has only become a relevant life story to you ever since you joined this forum and had to put up with us!!!!! :lol: :wink:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

sunshine wrote:headache! :shock: it's longer that some of the essays some kids produce!

OMG, words!!!! Ban 'em all!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote: Then again that Andrew does go on doesn't he???!!!!

Someone has to counter-balance the minimalist posting here. :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:lol:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Of course Andrew!!!! :D I blame it on all the cutbacks we're having to endure over here at the moment!!! :D There's even rationing of words these days!!!! :lol: :roll:

I think last weeks violent student protests show the sort of young people sunshine is helping to produce these days :roll: :wink: Anarchy In The UK indeed!!!!! :shock: :mrgreen:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

They'll have to dig out John Squire's lemons someday.

You mean the cutbacks in welfare? I read about that (!)...times sure are starting to suck. We definitely need another John Lydon to shake things up. Of course, even after all the Pistols tried to do for us, we ended up with Reagan and Thatcher anyway... :evil:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Yeah and Blair and Brown too!!! Let's not forget it is because of them we're in this shit in the first place!!!! Global ecomomic crisis my arse!!!! They spent so much of our money (that obviously they did not have and could not comfortably pay back) on public services (in fact wasting most of it on bureaucracy and god knows what else along the way - really the improvements we've felt considering the billions that have been spent out really aren't good enough!!!) that now the deficit is truly astronomical!!! Literally billions of £££'s have to be found to cover this and the only way is cut, cut, cut!!! Not just in welfare but EVERYTHING!!!! defense, education, public services the lot!!!! I think the only thing they have agree not to cut spending in is health... In the end it appears the numbers just didn't add up and they never considered the shit we could end up in if the economy suddenly went tits up!!!! Really for a government led by such a 'economic genius' in Gordon Brown they fucked up big time!!! And no matter recession or whatever else - really the huge overspend has just excerbated everything and now we're all having to pay for it!!! :( and actually I kinda almost feel sorry for the tory/lib coalition because they're the poor sods that are tearing their hair out trying to sort all of this out - and being hated for a problem they never even created!!! :roll: Whatever happened to the end of boom and bust Mr Brown???!!! :roll:

Just remember politicans of all pursuasions - whether it be left right or centre ground -they are all liars and they all fail to deliver their promises every time!!!! :roll: :( Trust no one... except yourself!!!! :D