Things Suede were wrong about

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Things Suede were wrong about

Post by SoGone »

It's no fun being a Suede fan.

Let me explain. When you're a Bob Dylan fan, you're expected to hate on 85% of the man's work. If you like too much of his music, you're an "apologist." At Bob Dylan forums, every other thread is "Empire Burlesque sucks!" or "Bob was wrong about [fill in the blank]." Discussions usually go something like this:

John- "Knocked Out Loaded sucks."
Tim- "I like KOL."
John- "Don't be suck a Dylan apologist."
Tim: "I'm not; it's a great album."
John- "It sucks."
Tim: "You suck."

...similarly, no Star Wars fan will admit to liking all six movies. Not only that, but Star Wars fans are required to hate George Lucas. It's as simple as that.

...where's the fun in being a Suedehead? Ok, so we like to talk about A New Morning's flaws, but they're only minor ones, just a few teensy things that make it less Great than everything that came before. And sometimes we like to joke about Elephant Man, but we like Neil Codling, so we forgive that. We don't whine about them leaving "My Insatiable One" off the debut or "Killing Of A Flashboy" off of DMS, because, well, unlike Bob Dylan, they haven't made a career out of leaving their best songs off of their albums. Or at least they haven't in our minds.

So anyway, yeah. Things Suede were wrong about. Who'd like to start it off?
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Things Suede were wrong about

Post by mark »

Well Hard Candy was a bit shit but still listenable dumb fun... But I HATE 'Instant Sunshine'...

But you're quite wrong about Suede fans - maybe now in retrospect people views are much less intense and hostile about certain albums, but back in the day over at suede.net there used to be some right old arguements and differences of opinion, fights and criticism about Suede related things - the obvious like huge debates over HM and ANM (many fans at the time were EXTREMELY critical of HM in particular, there were many arguements and a real spilit of opinion) and even arguements about Brett's ever changing hairstyles!!!!... A lot of arguements of course were from the 'original' fans who loved 'Suede' and 'DMS' and were kinda horrified by everything they've done ever since, to the huge influx of 'new-wave' Suede fans who joined around CU/HM period and were defiantly loyal to the direction they had chosen to go into!!! 'HM' I think caused more of a split in opinion of Suede fans than even ANM... Even though generally speaking again retrospectively most people realise HM is generally a fucking great album!!!... Some days it's my favourite...

I think after Suede split up the 'casual' fans have dispersed and now with Suede's return and Brett's foray into solo territory it is his/their defiantly loyal, through thick and thin fans that have come back along and will defend Suede to the death!!!... Oh and maybe some fans who had forgotten how fucking amazing Suede were have had a reminder over the past year and yes generally speaking, there is harmony and 'positivity' among Suede fans right now - but believe me the 'we're suede fans but let's hate on suede' happened A LOT during those later years... Not all fans but a split definitely... If you were around 'back in the day' you would have found A LOT of arguing going on - and if you head over to 'the other places' i'm sure at times you would still find some even now!!!...

So it shouldn't read 'Things that Suede were wrong about', it should read 'things that So Gone's wrong about'!!! Because if you think Suede fans didn't used to bitch and argue and scrap about things they loved/hated about Suede... well... you're quite wrong...

But in my case I can't really hate anything about Suede - only 'Instant Sunshine' gets on my tits and some songs are ok rather than amazing but generally speaking I love the fuckers as you well know!!!... Suede are all right by me!!!! :mrgreen:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...damnit. I can't believe I missed the Suedebashing boat. That's the best part of being a music fan! (I.e., bashing bands you love)

I'm scared of the Other Place, not least because of the color scheme. It's too hard to read the posts (physically).
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

you'll fit well there
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:lol: why sun, because it's full of arseholes???!!!... :( No Andy is too sweet for the other place - it's too nasty there sometimes... from the past anyway... he'd need protecting!!! :lol: :P
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Will you be my bodyguard?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

of course!!! :) although I hated seeing people bullied at that place so I don't tend to visit anymore!!!!... Also maybe i'm too scaredy, scaredy to be a bodyguard!!! - except when i'm drunk and want to kick people's head in!!!! :? :lol: :P

Hey Andy, you listed once some names (I can't remember what they were) that people call you - that wasn't true was it, like arseholes calling you names???!!!... :shock: :(
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:Hey Andy, you listed once some names (I can't remember what they were) that people call you - that wasn't true was it, like arseholes calling you names???!!!... :shock: :(

Yes, it was.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

yoo could be his babysitter marky
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...watch out, you don't want him to get too excited.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Don't worry, I can control myself!!!!... That's pretty shit though Andy in seriousness, that total jerkoff's say those kinds of things to you!!!... :( Shame one of them inhabits this board!!!... :shock: :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...while in Spain, a girl I'd known for about three days called me a freak.

Then another one said, "Man, you know, you seem like a nice kid...I think we could have been friends. But I read this one article you wrote..."

And it was all downhill from there.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

article u wrote???!!!! :? who were these girls - local spanish girls and what article u wrote did one read???... confused!!!! :shock: :?
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Never mind. Don't worry about it.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

pm!....