suedemusicweb is closed...

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
mark
Flight attendant

suedemusicweb is closed...

Post by mark »

Just to let any fans of my Suede channel on youtube 'suedemusicweb' know, i've decided to close it down after Suede's management decided to take out a copyright claim against an official recording of 'Animal Nitrate' live at Royal Albert Hall which was originally broadcast on ITV1 - as such I felt the upload was 'fair game' and in the end my site and fan site has always been online for the fans and because I am a massive fan of the band - everything I have bought, rarities, going to see them live and all the hours I have put in to promote the band both with airing their music on youtube and also through promotion with my original freeservers fansite - I have given Suede 15 years as a fan both in support and to the wider world online - purely because I love them and never for any gain of my own - I just wanted to share their wonderful music - but a copyright claim against a video originally aired on tv is frankly pathetic in my opinion especially for a video that has been onloine for 18 months already without protestation... No matter the rights and wrongs of copyright law - it is doing no harm and in fact is doing a lot to promote the band - I know I am using that word a lot but it is true - I understand completely the idea of music leaks and pirating and the harm that it can do for musicians - but my intentions were only ever to support the band and share my love for them and get them to an even bigger audience around the world... Because they are a band in this day and age still too underated and who deserve to be heard... What is worse is I have received an account warning in actually trying to do something positive for the band and the fans - in the past, Quietus contacted me first by email to to ask that I take down a clip I had of 'I Don't Need A High' - which I did immediately because I felt it was the right thing to do with respect - now I log into my account and it says I have had a warning about copyright infringement and the video has been disabled - no notification or request for removal first... so basically i'm being treated as a criminal in supporting a band I love - and YES I know all the technicalities about copyright but my channel allowed the music of Suede/Brett and The Tears to be heard all over the world - videos with hundreds of thousands of views and over 800 subscribers and getting Suede into the wider world more than ever I am sure is actually a GOOD thing for the band in raising awareness and more people buying their music as a consequence... But clearly I have been wasting my time trying to do something good for Suede all this time - and yes I know that was my choice but it's because I love the band - I have been to see Suede live 5 times since they returned last year - I have done many, MANY goods things for them without asking and also without wanting or expecting any thanks but in the end the only thanks I DO seem to get is contempt... So fuck it, I can't be bothered anymore - if real fans are treated like shit then what is the point???... I thought they wanted more people to hear their music but I know that's not my responsibility so I am not going to be wasting my precious time which could be spent on doing something more constructive than supporting a band I love... I except that the law is the law so I am sure they are now happy that their fans have been denied a music site devoted to the band that was loved...

Oh and for the record, I won't be buying a copy of the proposed official Royal Albert dvd as a consequence when it eventually comes out - because real fans clearly mean fuck all so why should I line record companies pockets when everything good I have done has been for free???!!!... I am sure there are more Suede fans out there now because of my channel - I know people who had never heard 'Beautiful Ones' for instance before I uploaded it or some of the rarities and live recordings on there... But anyway what's done is done, a loyal fan gets fucked over by the fat cats once again - same old story... I won't ever do anything positive for the band again... Having good intentions and spending your time doing something good for something you believe in is clearly a waste of time...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: suedemusicweb is closed...

Post by sunshine »

:(
some albino
Passenger (Business Class)

Post by some albino »

O poor Mark, you sound really let down. I can comprehend. I hope you still can enjoy the music, even if management and business issues have come between it.

I think this attitude of record or other companies is getting ridiculous. Yes, they could have contacted you, can't be difficult in this age.

Still, you shouldn't think it was a waste of time, that would be neglecting yourself. There must be something nothing can take away from you.

Still so painful, give it some time, but the truth remains: don't let a band kill you.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Thanks Wim... It's ok, i'm kinda over it now - well, I let a lot of things off my chest about it at the official forum and many people seem of a similar opinion because apparently the management are doing this with a lot of fans recordings on youtube... I felt I was doing something good for the band and something many fans enjoyed - shame that the record companies never see it that way - and don't worry, I haven't let it taint my opinion of Brett or Suede at all - i've loved them for 15 years and it would take A LOT to change that...