bloodsports - the beginning

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: barriers and bloodsports

Post by sunshine »

30 Albums To Make Your Life Bearable In 2013
By Mark Beaumont
Posted on 21/02/13 at 04:25:59 pm
Seven weeks into 2013 and it's already shaping up to be a vintage year, what with Everything Everything, My Bloody Valentine, Johnny Marr, Foals, Christopher Owens, Local Natives, Villagers, A$AP Rocky, Darwin Deez, Foxygen and Biffy Clyro all setting a formidable pace and Primal Scream already giving the year its own official anthem in '2013'. And there's still so much to come, so here's a rummage through what 2013 still has to offer.

15. Suede
Amongst the most successful recapturings of the 'old magic' in recent memory, Suede's joyous and hit-rammed live outings are now followed by a long-awaited sixth album imagining what might've happened had they made the follow-up to their commercial peak 'Coming Up' with regular producer Ed Buller. And it really is classic Suede, following the story of a tumultuous relationship from the exuberant riot pop of taster tune 'Barriers' to the new 'Trash' of 'It Starts And Ends With You' and on into darker, more obsessive and destructive emotional waters. The comeback to beat in 2013.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

some albino
Passenger (Business Class)

Post by some albino »

This is more than I had ever dreamed of. Still recovering from the new song and the album news.

Barriers is infectious, an unexpected return to form.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:D
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Hello again, been many months but I thought I'd pay a visit as Bloodsports tracklisting and details have been confirmed!

Two different deluxe editions on sale, one priced £35 and one priced £99.

http://www.suede.co.uk/

http://www.thestereoboutique.com/en/s/s ... y/uk/store

Tracklisting:

1. Barriers
2. Snowblind
3. It Starts And Ends With You
4. Sabotage
5. For The Strangers
6. Hit Me
7. Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away
8. What Are You Not Telling Me?
9. Always
10 . Faultlines
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2013/01/sue ... ease-date/

Suede reveal ‘Bloodsports’ tracklist, release date
By Live4ever - Posted on 16 Jan 2013 at 11:02am

Suede have today ironed out the final details of their new album ‘Bloodsports‘.
The tracklisting and a release date of March 18th have both been confirmed, while the song ‘It Starts and Ends with You‘ will be released as an official single on the day of the LP’s release.
Frontman Brett Anderson insisted last year Suede would only allow a new album to join their reunion party if they were completely satisfied with it, and when the album was subsequently confirmed last week, he described that period of studio sessions as a ‘year of sweating and bleeding over the record’.
“After a year of sweating and bleeding over the record it’s finally finished so we wanted to get some music out there as soon as we could,” he told NME. “‘Barriers’ isn’t the first single but we are proud enough of it to just chuck it out there and thought that its pulsing, romantic swell somehow summed up the feel of the album quite nicely.”

‘Bloodsports’ tracklist:
‘Barriers’
‘Snowblind’
‘It Starts and Ends with You’
‘Sabotage’
‘For the Strangers’
‘Hit Me’
‘Sometimes I Feel I’ll Float Away’
‘What Are You Not Telling Me?’
‘Always’
‘Faultlines’
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/fe ... CMP=twt_gu

Series: Soundtrack of my life
Brett Anderson: soundtrack of my life
Suede's singer reflects on his father's love of Rachmaninoff, the energy of the Sex Pistols and the intensity of the Horrors
Jude Rogers
The Observer, Sunday 24 February 2013

Suede frontman Brett Anderson at The Ministry of Sound in London Photograph: Christian Sinibaldi for the Guardian
Brett Anderson was born in 1967, and brought up with his sister Blandine on a West Sussex council estate. Aged 22, he formed Suede. At the 1993 Brit awards, they famously played Animal Nitrate, a song referencing drugs and the age of homosexual consent; that year, their first album won the Mercury prize. Splitting in 2003 after five albums and two changes of personnel, they reformed for a rapturously received charity gig in 2010. Their sixth album, Bloodsports, is released next month.

THE TRACK THAT REMINDS ME OF MY CHILDHOOD

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini by Rachmaninoff (1934)
Most of my waking hours as a child were filled with my father playing all these old geezers – Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Berlioz, Mahler. It was a constant dribble in the background. Sometimes, he'd bring me into the front room, sit me down and say: "Listen, son, this is absolute genius!" And I'd be [whinily]: "I don't like it, Dad." He was obsessive, to put it mildly. When Liszt's birthday came around, he'd drive to Hungary in his beaten-up Morris Traveller, take a piece of soil and wear it round his neck in a phial for the rest of the year.
This Rachmaninoff piece has stayed with me, though. It's romantic and sweeping and there's definitely a similar feel to some of our records. Now I think my dad's obsession was quite beautiful, really. A taxi driver living in a tiny council house with such a huge love of music – he definitely fed mine.

THE FIRST TRACK THAT FELT LIKE MINE
Bodies by the Sex Pistols (1977)
Dad obviously hated every bit of punk. I heard this late, having been nine at the Sex Pistols' height – I hadn't exactly been pogoing down at the 100 Club. But musical scenes seeped very slowly through the country before the internet and it took years for punk to get to Haywards Heath properly.
Bodies is a proper rabble-rouser. It gets your blood up and we still play it before shows. The Sex Pistols were a huge influence on Suede too, which people don't always get. Playing Animal Nitrate at the Brits was completely inspired by them, a real two-fingers-up-to-the-industry, glam-terrorism thing. The Brits? I haven't been since, although we've had nominations. Going to sit on some table with a load of stuffed shirts talking about downloads… I can't think of anything worse.

THE TRACK THAT MADE ME THINK I COULD BE IN A BAND
Cemetry Gates by the Smiths (1986)
The Sex Pistols' songs were about real life, not Jim Morrison rock cliches. The Smiths also showed that pop songs could be about things other than boy meets girl. There's such a wonderful discussion about death and mortality and history on Cemetry Gates. As a teenager, I found it amazing that someone could write a song so confidently about such a potentially boring subject matter and that drove me on.

THE ALBUM THAT MADE ME WANT TO MAKE ALBUMS
Hounds of Love by Kate Bush (1985)
I love how this album leads you along, like you're this willing victim, one of the rats following the Pied Piper. [Suede's second album] Dog Man Star wouldn't have been the same album without Hounds of Love – it was totally inspired by it. Records that show that you can take a listener on a journey, create a real sense of space and a sound that is completely their own: those are the ones people love.

THE ALBUM THAT MADE ME FEEL LIKE A TEENAGER AGAIN
The Trials of Van Occupanther by Midlake (2006)
This coming out coincided with a special time for me personally, when I first met my wife. It's so easy to get jaded about music when you've been making it for a long time, when you get sent lots of stuff… and then one record comes along that makes you feel 14 again. I remember lying on my bed, drowning in the beauty of this. I love the way you don't know quite what's going on in the lyrics, so you follow little clues at your peril and make up your own stories. It reminded me how great oblique imagery is and how rejuvenating music can be.

THE TRACK THAT INSPIRES ME NOW
I Can't Control Myself by the Horrors (2009)
I'm like a magpie these days, spending lots of time listening to anything people are talking about. I love Foals, Bat for Lashes, These New Puritans, but the Horrors are fantastic. They're developing in a really interesting way, always coming back with something new. And this track sounds fantastic live, heavy, bright and intense. Between 1991 and 1996, I didn't listen to any music other than ours, but now I think it's important in the process of creating. It's like breathing. I'm glad I shut myself off before, though, because it's important to go through phases. After all, I never wanted to be the same person for the rest of my life.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/3 ... reputation

Brett Anderson hopes new album will rebuild Suede's reputation
SUEDE frontman BRETT ANDERSON hopes the band's new album will rebuild their reputation following the critical and commercial failure of their last release.
Published: Wed, February 27, 2013
The group hit a low point in 2002 when its fifth record, A New Morning, failed to crack the chart's top 20 and Suede went on to split a year later (03).
Anderson now insists the record should never have been allowed to hit stores, and hopes their soon-to-be-released new album, Bloodsports, will help mend the damage, telling Uncut magazine, "There was a huge amount (at stake with Bloodsports). What was at stake was rescuing the reputation of Suede, really. We probably shouldn't have released that last album (A New Morning); we did the thing we'd always said we'd avoid - releasing a record just to go on tour. It wasn't released with the joy and passion with which records should be released..."
He adds of Bloodsports, which is released in March (13), "I don't think there's any point in coming back and trying to reinvent the band. I wanted it to sound identifiably (sic) like a Suede record. But I didn't want it to sound like self-parody or pastiche."
Anderson evens concedes he nearly quit work on the record when the music wasn't meeting his standards: "About midway through the new record... it really wasn't coming together like I wanted it to. I did toy with the idea of saying, 'Let's not do this, and I'll carry on making solo records.' But that was to do with re-establishing the band chemistry."
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: bloodsports - the beginning

Post by sunshine »

http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/issue/music/al ... he-week-2/

Albums of the week

Suede - Bloodsports
Bloodsports, Suede's first album in eleven years, feels as distinctive as the band's debut. Rather than recreating the sound which initially propelled the band to prominence, Suede's latest work sees Brett Anderson and Co. developing a variety of fresh ideas, mostly with great success. The album is lyrically sharp and uncompromising, and the music evolves noticeably throughout.
The searing guitar of the opening three tracks gives the album a blistering start. 'Barriers' is a standout, its bubbling vigour redolent of such classics of yesteryear as 'Beautiful Ones'. The roaring 'It Starts And Ends With You' is likewise instantly appealing, its supersonic chorus marking it out for live success.
The darker, haunting fourth and fifth tracks explode into the brilliantly reckless energy of 'Hit Me', while the simmering 'What Are You Not Telling Me?' epitomises the brooding nature of the album's closing tracks. While 'Always' falls flat as an attempted paean to individuality, 'Faultlines' makes amends for it, its lingering piano providing a fitting denouement to a complicated and masterful album - a comeback truly worth the wait.
Will Spencer