to suede or not to suede...

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Re: to suede or not to suede...

Post by Gareth »

Well for me nothing Brett has done post-Suede has come close so I'd be delighted if the band continued.

Personally I love ANM but I know I'm in the minority. I think there were very specific reasons why it's considered a failure creatively and commercially, particularly expensive and lengthy search for the right producer. I think Attitude and the other songs that came out at the time of Singles were a step back in the right direction towards the kind of Suede record fans would accept and I think it's a bit unfair to assume that the band haven't got another album in them on the basis of ANM. I know a lot people think things went downhill with Head Music but again there's other reasons why that turned out how it did.

I guess my perspective is skewed slightly by being Coming Up era fan rather than a DMS one - I would never want another DMS from the CU line-up.

Usual disclaimer - this is just my opinion, I don't expect that many people will agree so please don't have a go at me if you don't, etc (although usually that sort of thing's not needed here).

Gareth.
Brettspiel
Passenger (Business Class)

Post by Brettspiel »

I won't want a new DMS either... Trashy or Head Music-ish would be fine for me! a great pop-album to show they still have the glamour, the great moments, the excellent songwriting and the good taste!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

to make it clear, I do not want another DMS... even if i discovered suede during the DMS tour, I feel myself more like a CU fan... and ANM has got a lot of meaning for me, so I love it... you are not alone, Gareth!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Don't worry gareth - we nwouldn't have a go at you - you know this isn't the place that can not be named!!!!!

I'm CU era and as I said before there's lots of ANM that I like and and several songs that are up there as my favourites - and HM is an album that for a period has come become a favourite....

I guess it is down to the individual - of course if I heard that they were making a new album i'd be the first to get excited!!!! Whatever they do i'll follow with interest - as a band or individuals...!!!
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

well said, mark! *kudos*
Jan
Pilot

Post by Jan »

mark wrote: of course if I heard that they were making a new album i'd be the first to get excited!!!!
Same same... And I'm sure I'll end up with six or more copies of their new album, no matter whether it's any good.

Unique offer: get 4 copies of ANM, only pay 3. PM for more info. :wink:
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jan!!! but today I can't do anything for the charts at all!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

those were the days... buying lots of copies to offer as present and boost the charts (even if they are not important! :wink: )