best of reviews

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: best of reviews

Post by sunshine »

soon you Americans will only understand Spanish! :roll: :lol:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Andrew - stick with the brtish-ism's!!! We'll have u talking with an english accent soon!!!! :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: And I LOVE the idea you're confusing all your classmates by talking 'british'!!!! :mrgreen:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:lol:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Haha, marky, the funny thing is that I can't fake a British accent at ALL!!! I remember 10th grade history class, we were role playing and my group was supposed to be British...and I just couldn't do it!

Oh, and I read a lot of British books as a kid (Usbourne was the publisher, I think). I still use the British spellings for "theatre" and a few other words...I even find myself using "honour" and "colour" at times, to the bemusement of my professors!

Sunshine, let's just say that Spanish isn't the most popular language at my school, even if the teacher is hilarious. :D :P

True story: my mom was saying something about watching the Grammys, and I said, "Why would I want to bother with that shite?"

Her (laughing) response: "What the fuck is 'shite'?" (No kidding. This is the way we talk.)

Me: "It's the British equivalent of 'shit.' I learned it from an Oasis song."

Her (still laughing): "That's awesome!"

So now she says "shite" instead of "shit." I officially have the coolest mom ever. :D
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

omg Andrew!!! :shock: Really I am starting to think of you as something of a legend!!! 8) An american who actually uses some of the correct spellings of ENGLISH words !!!! :lol: 8) :wink: :mrgreen:

hahhahahahahahahhahahahaha!!! That whole conversation between yourself and your mum is great!!! :lol: :shock: Wow you talk to eachother like trash, that's pretty cool!!! :wink: 8) And hey Andrew, you were doing so well with the english spelling right up until u said mom instead of mum at the end!!!!! :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

If you wanna become fully english you'll have to start saying 'mate' or 'fella' or 'deffo' all the time though and drop the 'man', 'dude' and 'awesome' talk!!! :lol: nah mate, one thing at at time i think, we better take this slowly!!!! You'll be drinking tea all day and driving on the left hand side of the road next thing you know!!!! :wink:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

it's funny, the american accent
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I don't think I can cotton to "mum" because the few American books I read as a youth were Berenstein Bear things, and they used "mom." But I can still appreciate "mum" (like the way Elvis Costello used it as one of his puns in "Shot With His Own Gun").

I use "mate" occasionally, but then people think I'm using a really outdated form of the word "lover"..."man" just flows easier off of the tongue. Blame it on the Dylan/Springsteen obsession. :D

"Fella" is definitely an old man's word for a young man (my grandfather was infamous for raising his empty cup of coffee in a restaurant and shouting out at the waiter, "Hey, fella, how about a refill?"). And "deffo"...that's just not right! Granted, "awesome" is no great shakes either, but...

I once slipped and asked someone if they had a "brolly." "What?" she asked, "Did you just ask if I had a bra?" Ah, good times...

...and after I heard Crocodiles for the first time, I was just itching for a chance to say "bagsy" in actual conversation. It never came up, sadly.

And sunshine, you wouldn't find the Pittsburgh accent/dialect funny...actually, you probably would, but you'd also likely find it indecipherable. There are entire books written about it.

If you're bored and/or so inclined, peruse this site for your own entertainment and get back to me. :wink: :D

http://www.pittsburghese.com/
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I will definietly check out the link when i'm not so busy (watching the football right now - that's soccer to u!!! :mrgreen:)...

hahahha - i like the brolly/bra reference!!!! :) :lol: and wow i could never imagine you using the word 'bagsy'!!!!

fella here is something a lot of young blokes say to eachother these days but i find it pretty annoying!!!! And I agree that deffo is just plain BAD!!!!!! :(

Indecipherable??? What like Rocky Balboa or something???!!!! :lol: :shock:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

whne he is not busy!!! that means in 5000000 years. (so lazy!) :lol:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

oi!!! hey don't u start just because I am giving Andrew more attention than you at the moment!!!! :roll: :wink:

You and me all we want to be is lazy!!!! :cry: I have to admit I am pretty bad !!! And the fact I am getting old means I make people promises to do stuff (send people mp3's etc) and forget all about it!!!! :oops: :(
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:roll:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:(
sunshine
Flight attendant