O2

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
sunshine
Flight attendant

O2

Post by sunshine »

Rod Stewart at the O2 Arena, review
Rod Stewart, the genial entertainer, gives 20,000 fans a night to remember . Rating: * * * *
By Neil McCormick
Rod Stewart at the O2 Arena Photo: PA Watching the swaying, singing audience at the O2 arena, it struck me that Rod Stewart would make the greatest wedding singer of all time. He’s a genial entertainer with a great set of pipes who gives the audience exactly what they want: the hits, some standards, a bit of soul, disco, rock ’n’ roll, romantic ballads and arms-linked singalongs. There’s even cheeky banter and interval time built in for toilet breaks.
“Is there anyone here from Essex?” Stewart asks, with a wink, before strapping 6ft-plus English model Penny Lancaster appears on stage in a red mini- dress, grinning and dancing rather gormlessly to his lively version of the Sam Cook classic Twisting the Night Away. “That’s the wife,” quips Stewart. “I actually told her to stay in the van.” And where else but at a wedding or a Rod Stewart concert could you expect to see a 65-year-old man with his jacket off, shirt tails hanging out, shaking his bony behind beneath a glitterball and asking if we think he’s sexy?
The stage is so bright and clean, it is like a Sixties set from American Bandstand blown up for The X Factor, and the versatile band are constrained in tight suits, with backing vocalists in matching sexy mini-dresses. It looks and feels like a cheesy review show, not dissimilar to the kind of thing Cliff Richard puts on, although there is a time those two would have been at the opposite ends of the rock spectrum. The thing that raises the bar is Stewart himself. His hoarse, soulful voice has always been a distinctive instrument: there’s sensitivity in his delivery and there’s a way that he closes his eyes and delicately sways when he sings that suggests he still gets lost in these songs.
And what songs. His voice always sounded old; now when he sings Handbags and Gladrags he really could be the disappointed grandfather reprimanding his wayward granddaughter. After all these years, and all these hits, and all the albums of cover versions, there’s never a dull or self-indulgent moment. The 20,000-plus audience belt out his classics with him, and when he leads them through a mass choral version of Sailing, it is impossible not to be swept overboard.

8)
mark
Flight attendant

Re: O2

Post by mark »

:roll: :mrgreen:

did u go??? least he made a good joke about his wife... oh and the stereophonics cover of his song is suprisingly better than his btw!!! :evil:

oh no i'm gonna be nice about this for once - if u went i hope u enjoyed it....
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

When tickets came out, there were only places up in the 4th circle, so I did not bother.

I kept looking aroud and only found a ticket in B section for yesterday when I had a race with the kids :cry:

stereocacks are not as good as him, sorry
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

that's the whole point - i'm not keen on the stereophonies!!!!! u had to race against ur kids????!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

with, not against... we ran as a team
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

oh nice !!! A race together!!!! And u were able to keep up with them at your old age???!!!!! :lol: 8) :shock: :roll: :wink:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock: i am normally the first teacher to come in...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I can't believe that!!!!.... how old are all the other teachers u work with and race against then - 80!!!!!!!! :lol: :wink:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

lol... did you see Bon Jovi today at the O2?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Er no - why??????!!!!! :?
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

they were the first ones to play outside the O2 in the roof before their proper gig inside... it was in the news!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

No, the only music news I heard yesterday was about Stuart Cable....
So when did this gig take place???? How did they play outside the venue but in the roof??? Were they standing on top of the roof lol???!!!! :roll:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

omg u HAVE to be joking???!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: wtf!!! that's insane!!!! why play on top of the roof when u can play inside or in the indigo???.... You have to go up there like ur mountain climbing lol..... totally mad!!!.... :shock:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »