Who decided that "x" would tend to sound like "z"?

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Who decided that "x" would tend to sound like "z"?

Post by SoGone »

...you know, in the context of words like "xenon." Sort of stupid, when you think about it.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Who decided that "x" would tend to sound like "z"?

Post by mark »

:lol: :roll: xerox xxx :mrgreen: childish i know but there is no answer to this other than a dyslexic phoneticist!!!! or something!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Phonics are ridiculous. They never make any sense. Obviously the people who developed the written language didn't consult with those who spoke it.

I have obviously erroneous visions of well-paid bureaucrats sitting around a large oak table, deciding that "knowledge" will have a silent "k" and "w" "just because," that the "o" will have an odd accent on it, that the "e" will sound like an "i"...

And don't get me started on the geniuses who decided to make "there" and "their" have the same pronunciation. The range of the human ability to make sounds is not that limited.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

how about 'there' and 'their' AND 'they're'????!!!... 3 of them, not just two!!!! :lol: 8) :? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh and reading what you say I think you've spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long thinking about this Andrew!!!!! :roll: :wink:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I didn't count "they're" because it's a...oh fuck, the term's escaping me now, but you know, when you join two words and omit some letters...

This is the kind of thing I thought about back when I was little and Mom dragged me to church and I was bored silly by the preaching and songs and I had to find some way to entertain myself, and there's only so much skin you can chew off of your hands...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

Everybody smiles because we shock the winter
Everybody sits round to watch the sky
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I bet you have very pretty but masculine hands Andy!!!!! :P :shock: :roll: :mrgreen: ooooh but I thought u were a church loving kinda boy, or have I got that all wrong???!!!!.... :shock: :?
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I identify as agnostic, although the old Catholic guilt still plagues me...

My hands would be very pretty, but they're a mess from me chewing off the nails and skin, even on the knuckles and palms, since 2nd grade...so maybe that counts as "masculine"...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

You bite your nails???!!! hmmm, that's nerves... I used to bite mine really short and was quite nasty, but I stopped biting them some years ago!!!! :D Although occasionally I have been known to have a mad munch when i'm drunk!!!! Dunno why, I guess it's because alcohol raises your appetite!!!! :lol:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

(disgusting *vomit*)

You said that we were just good friends
But we jump red lights all the way to the end
There you go, there you go again
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I eat all parts of my body...I pull out my hair and chew on it (this was worse when it was long), my finger and toenails, any skin I can reach with my teeth...

Yeah, nerves.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

omg PLEASE tell me you really don't eat your toenails???!!! That is beyond vom!!! And how do you eat your hair???!!! :shock: Oh you only chew your hair, that's slightly less bad!!! (slightly!)... I'm really starting to worry about you now!!!!... :( And you eat ALL parts of your body???!!! Even your ....???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

*vomit*

:lol: