Black history month...what a crock

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Black history month...what a crock

Post by SoGone »

For the benefit of you non-Americans, here we have this thing called "Black History Month," in which we try to erase the legacy of our racist past by dedicating a whole month to black people.

The funny thing is that no one seems to understand that continuing to act as if there are significant (non-sociological) differences between races is going to lead to continued racism...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Re: Black history month...what a crock

Post by car wash *unt »

I think electing Obama has shown the real progress. Time to give up silly "days" and "months".
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...but see, the problem is that people identify him as "the US's first black president," rather than considering any of his actual achievements. It'd be just as bad if they said "the US's first president from Hawaii," but no one would ever say that because it's so obviously trivial and meaningless.

...and there are still interviews with black people who talk about how his victory "is a victory for us" and stuff like that, and by "us," they don't mean "Americans" or "human beings." There are people who still say "Obama's one of them" or "Obama's one of us," and even if they're not explicitly racist, that's still not the best kind of thinking to engage in...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I do understand what you're saying Andy but i'm not sure whether I fully agree or not... I mean I understand commerating or remembering how bad things once were and putting a positive spin on how things are now as a weapon against racism but also I get that highlighting differences only feeds the fact that people are 'different' when in fact everyone is the same... it's like 'gay pride' which I am not so much of a fan of - i mean mainly because in real life even the campest of gay people don't spend their ordinary lives mincing about in angel wings and cowboy outfits - i'm not saying people don't have the right to dress or behave or act the way they want, all i am saying is most people generally don't live up to these gay stereotypes so why prmote them when it only gives the homophobes more to feed on????... is pride to show you have the right to be gay and not abused in public??? - well we are in 2011 and we all know that, sometimes as u say highlighting differences is not the answer - how can anybody have pride in a sexuality??? it's not something to be proud of, it's who you are - maybe more it should be emphasied that clearly being gay is nothing to be ashamed of and you aren't abnormal being that way - it is normal for the individual who feels that way and the sooner people realise that the better - but i'm not sure how promoting old stereotypes helps (and yes for anyone who is in doubt or doesn't know, i am myself gay!!!)...

and btw, don't all americans hate obama now????!!!! :roll:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Oh, I agree that we shouldn't just say "everything's peachy, always was, always will be." But the USA has fucked up in a lot more instances than with African-Americans...I mean, we don't have a Japanese-American History Month to commemorate the internment camps during WWII, or a Native American History Month to remember the people we basically slaughtered and stole the land from...it should all just be part of our sorry history, instead of split up.

And I completely agree with what you said here:

"how can anybody have pride in a sexuality??? it's not something to be proud of, it's who you are - maybe more it should be emphasied that clearly being gay is nothing to be ashamed of and you aren't abnormal being that way"

I think most of the vitriol that is directed at Obama is by people who never liked him...sure, he's losing popularity, but it's not like, say, Bush in 2008. :P

For the record, I didn't like Obama from the start, simply because I figured he'd be like Clinton; great image and all, but he'd sell us out pretty quickly. I voted Nader and was proud of it.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Post by car wash *unt »

SoGone wrote:rather than considering any of his actual achievements.
what achievements? lol
He's done fuck all so far :D
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

You're right. I left out the "if any" clause. My mistake.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

You're cheap as the perfume that you wear
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Who's Nadar??!!! :? Oh and btw, whatever the politics of the individual, Bush must surely go down as the worst, most god-awful twat of a president in your history surely???!!! Total knob joke lol!!! I mean didn't you just die of embarrassment knowing he was your president???!!! It gave the comedians over here plenty of material to take the piss out of him but, man, god knows what the US comedians were like... He unreal - the things he'd come out with and the mistakes he would make!!!... The fact that he just sat and continued reading a story to kids in a classroom, looking kinda vacant, when he had just been told that an aeroplane had been flown into the world trade center, is something i'll never forget!!!! That amongst all the other moments of idiocy, mis-speak and "Yo Blair!"... Plus his lust for war and god knows what he actiually did for your country on a domestic scale but as far as I know he wasn't exactly great in that department either was he???!!! How the FUCK did he get another term in office???!!!... What the fuck was wrong with you guys, it can't have just been the red-necks???!!!!... :shock: When we heard he had got a second term I think as a nation we were totally dumbstruck lol, "OMG!!!! What the hell is wrong with these people"???!!!... Think Clinton is seen in quite a good light by most people over here, desite the whole Lewinsky thing... Remind me Andrew, what part of the US are you from???...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Nader...the ultra-liberal guy who's been running for President since 1996 on various 3rd party platforms...

And there are people who still yearn for the days of Bush!!!! Complete idiots they are; I was more terrified than embarrassed when Bush was President, but there were generous heapings of both.

I was no Clinton fan, but like Obama, he was infinitely better than the Bushes.

I'm from Pennsylvania...which is sort of in the eastern section of the country....
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

ah Pennsylvania, I thought so... nice there???...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Beautiful place, yes...plenty of "hicks," but not nearly as bad as other parts of the country...

...our state hasn't voted Republican in decades, so that's good. :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

Everybody smiles because we shock the winter
Everybody sits round to watch the sky

(hilary should have won the democ election - and she would be president)