anm reissue reviews

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

anm reissue reviews

Post by sunshine »

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/1631 ... ws/4142975

Suede
A New Morning (reissue)
5/ 10 by Paul Brown

In his liner notes for the reissue of A New Morning, Brett Anderson is pretty candid, voicing his opinion that it's the Suede record that probably should never have seen daylight. His tone is a far cry from the proud-Dad nostalgia that accompanied the earlier reissues, and it's probably fair to say that he echoes the thoughts of a fair majority of Suede die-hards and casuals alike. But the album did get made, and the band aren't attempting to deny it, so given the wave of goodwill that has inevitably accompanied Suede's reunion, we're unlikely to ever get a better chance to attempt to re-evaluate A New Morning's place in their history.

Given Brett's apparent antipathy towards the album, it's reassuring that he seems to have at least treated its reissue with the same care and respect as the rest of the deluxe versions of the previous four Suede records. For right or for wrong, A New Morning's reissue, complete with b-sides, demos and a DVD of videos, live performances and interviews provides just as comprehensive an overview of the final phase of the band's recording career as Suede did of their early days, or as Dog Man Star did of their dark, drug-hazed period.

As you'd expect then, it's a bumpy ride. The remastering job done on the album proper is pretty minimal, to nobody's surprise given that the thing was only released in 2002, and, well, the production was never really the issue with it. The main problem with it, and there's no escaping or dressing up this fact, is that it is nowhere near as good an album as any of its forebears. Suede was the glam, sleazy statement of intent, Dog Man Star had that wonderful dark bravado, Coming Up was one of the Nineties best pop records; hell, even Head Music was admirable enough in its attempts to break new ground. A New Morning, however, had none of those USPs, it was simply an exercise in treading water from a band who at this point apparently seemed depressingly resigned to their best work being behind them.

The one saving grace of the reissue, if you're willing to look hard enough for it, is that it least gives Suede fans solace that if the band had retained a little focus, the A New Morning had the potential to be a much better album, thus dispelling that nagging fear that Suede were entirely dead as a creative force at this point. It's the demos on the end of the first disc which provide the main glimmers of hope in this regard, particularly the early versions of 'Simon', 'Lost in TV' and 'Untitled'. These, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, the demo of 'When the Rain Falls', offer a tantalising glimpse of what might have happened if the band had chosen to follow up their 'experimental' album with their 'stripped-down' album. Had they opted to take this path, and not copped out with forced as fuck Suede-by-numbers stuff like 'Obsessions', 'One Hit to the Body', or the bloated, stodgy faux-swagger of 'Beautiful Loser', then maybe, just maybe, the memory of A New Morning wouldn't give Suede fans cause to shuffle embarassedly in their seats.

For the most part, the b-sides don't give us too much comfort either. 'Instant Sunshine' sounds unnervingly like Little Kix era-Mansun, and, apart from the understated elegance of 'Rainy Day Girls', that's about the best of the bunch. Meanwhile, 'One Love' and 'Hard Candy' are absolutely diabolical sub-Coming Up pop non-entities and 'Cheap' loses the intangible, intriguing darkness of the demo on disc one, collapsing instead under the weight of its terrible lyrics. 'Campfire Song', at least, while far from an essential moment in the band's history, represents a vaguely interesting attempt to depart from what the core of Suede. A bit more of this spirit might well have salvaged something from the album.

So, clearly the reissued version of A New Morning isn't going to wildly change the world's perceptions of the record. It's a tarted up version of a seriously weak piece of work, and if you're ever planning to spend a weekend sat listening to these reissues chronologically, then you might well be left with the false impression that Suede are/were a poor band. That said though, it does at least remind us that one of Suede's biggest strengths is their humanity and their honesty. Like Manic Street Preachers before them, they're fully aware that they have fucked up at various points along the journey, and by presenting us so brazenly with a comprehensive package of what they know is their worst music, they're reminding us of just what a ballsy, spectacular bunch of freaks they have been since day one. It's just a shame that this boldness didn't extend to the recordings contained here.
mark
Flight attendant

Re: anm reissue reviews

Post by mark »

unfair, review I think... now i'm listening to the b-sides... What do you think about ANM José? I think it has some strong songs and moments... god I am writing this while listening to 'Instant Sunshine' though and its doing my head in!!!!.... grrrrrrrrrrr!!!... I think its a good album, not great, not groundbreaking but good... there are plenty of catchy pop songs - and Suede were never simply just a 'pop band' I guess... It wasn't groundbreaking, some occasional expansive sounds but no real edge and yeah compared to early Suede it seems way out of step... But I think you have to take ANM as an album on its own - you can't make comparisons... It is what it is...

and love the extended ending of 'Campfire Song' - hilarious stuff!!!... Nice to hear the band just pissing about!!!!...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I like the punky demos of LTWYL and GG btw... And Refugees studio version sounds fantastic!!!... :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

I agree with you... some great catchy songs, but if compared with previous ones, won't reach the benchmark...
but i like it, as I was totally around here when it was made!
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Post by Gareth »

I've said before I really like ANM and would probably put it above HM, although I know the majority of fans wouldn't. Like Sunshine that probably has a lot to do with my having just moved to London around the time it came out - 2002 was a great year to be a Suede fan in London - we had the Drowners party / secret gig, the Electric Ballroom fanclub gig, Meltdown with the string section and the Obsessions video shoot...

Really enjoying the reissue so far - a lot more interesting stuff on here than on HM. Love Refugees, and the remastered B sides sound great (try comparing Cool Thing with the original version). Anyone else notice the extra minute of larking about at the end of Campfire Song yet?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Yeah Gareth, if you actually read my posts you would see the Campfire Song reference!!!... hahaha!!!... someone else who doesn't bother to read my comments!!!!!... grrrr!!!... :P :roll: :( :cry: :evil:
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Post by Gareth »

Oops sorry Mark - I read your post yesterday before I'd actually got home and got hold of the ANM CD. Must have forgot that bit!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

haha... poor marky
gotham155

Post by gotham155 »

I can't wait to have it… ANM is so special and important for me… I just NEED it!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

haven't you got it yet??
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

we don't live in the UK... :?
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

oh... but it is already a week more or less since they sent it to us?
gotham155

Post by gotham155 »

sunshine wrote:oh... but it is already a week more or less since they sent it to us?
Swiss people are slow, don't you know?
I received it yesterday at midday… listened it and felt in love with it again…
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I love all 5 releases... they are all superb in their own way!!!... Was really loving the ANM b-sides the other day - think the HM b-sides are the most patchy - but ironically I think the last 4 b-sides from that era were amongst the best... and leaving of course!!! Bored, crackhead and Implement Yeah were pretty good too... actually despite patchiness there were some good other songs during this period - at least there's no instant sunshine's or hard candy's!!!...

most of the demos are pretty good and interesting, love the unreleased songs too - it's just great to have all the songs (more or less) from each era together... Still have yet to watch the interviews/concerts from HM/ANM eras... (although most of the concerts Ihave either seen beofre or got from those times)... Looks like it's gonna be another Suedey weekend!!!... Actually, there are only two songs from the whole of suede's carrer (since the joined Nude Records) that don't make the packages aren't there???... Digging A Hole and Weight Of The World... I quite like both of those songs too!!!.. I've got them on my ipod anyway so no problem!!!..
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

here it always lays around in the customs for ages...