Latitude 17-07-2011

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Latitude 17-07-2011

Post by sunshine »

Tune into Absolute Radio from 20.00 on Sunday to hear all the highlights from the weekend - including the best bits from the band's interview and headline set: www.absoluteradio.co.uk/live

Also highlights or live stream on Sky Arts on Sunday from 21.00.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: Latitude 17-07-2011

Post by sunshine »

mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Lol - how could I tune in from 8 when I was there lol??? they played 1 hour 20, and 17 songs - not sure the exact running order but i'll give a rough guess and most importantly all the songs they played... oh and yeah they were fucking ace as usual lol!!! :P

The Drowners, She, Trash, Filmstar, To The Birds, Animal Nitrate, The Wild Ones, We Are The Pigs, Killing Of A Flash Boy, Can't Get Enough, Heroine, Metal Mickey, Everything Will Flow, So Young, New Generation, Beautiful Ones, (ENCORE): Saturday Night

Good if not amazing crowd reaction overalll, slow start with 'The Drowners' but people were definitely getting more into it soon after that - mid crowd there wasn't much movement or reaction but still seemed pretty appreciative - and most importantly everyone started transfixed til the end!!!! :D Further forward the crowd was going mental and what cheered me more than anything was the number of kids, teens/20 somethings I noticed into it!!!... Maybe Suede CAN appeal to a 'New Generation'???!!! :P Was a good day despite the rain :) The rain stopped for around 'Hurts' /'Suede time in the evening but got fucking soaked on and off all the rest of the day!!!! :( So basically it was great and yeah the crowd were difinitely wanting more when they left!!!! :D

Highlights for me included a brutal 'We Are The Pigs' and 'Heroine' and the singalong slowies of Everything Will Flow, The Wild Ones and Saturday Night seemed to be the ones that got everyone going!!!! :D But was an immaculate set and Brett seemed to really enjoy himself - got the crowd to sing most of Everything Will Flow and was on his knees a lot and singing like a madman right into the tv cameras !!! :D I guess I should've got nearer the front to really 'feel' it lol :P :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

good you had a good time
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

setlist: 'The Drowners', 'She', 'Trash', 'Filmstar', 'Animal Nitrate', 'To The Birds', 'Wild Ones', 'We Are the Pigs', 'Flashboy', 'Can't get Enough', 'Everything Will Flow', 'So Young', 'Metal Mickey', 'Heroine', 'New Generation', 'Beautiful Ones'
Encores: Saturday Night (they miss the two first encores: 'My Insatiable One' and 'Stay Together'
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

4/5 in the Financial Times
July 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Suede, Latitude Festival, Suffolk, UK
By Neil O’Sullivan
Twenty years ago, when they were one of the big beasts of Britpop, Suede inspired the kind of devotion that few bands can. Where Pulp were knowing, Blur artful and Oasis bent on hedonism, Suede possessed an alluring combination of the raw and the stylised, their dark glam pop epitomised by singer Brett Anderson’s androgynous posturing and dystopian vision.

Their reformation last year renewed the affair and in a set to close the Latitude Festival in Suffolk on Sunday night they turned in a performance of remarkable verve and intensity. A spellbinding opening salvo of “The Drowners”, “She”, “Trash”, “Film Star” and “Animal Nitrate” left the crowd at the picturesque Obelisk Arena gasping for breath and Anderson, who appears fitter now than he did as an elegantly wasted twentysomething, looking exhilarated.

Never flagging, he stood on monitors, managed to get his shirt open to the waist as soon as possible and indulged in his full repertoire of high camp moves, alternately swinging his mike on a long lead, kicking up his heels and delivering Mick Jagger-esque handclaps. Having paused momentarily to deliver an excellent “To the Birds”, the band sped expertly through “The Wild Ones”, “We are the Pigs” and “Metal Mickey”, as unshowy as Anderson was exhibitionist. “Can’t get enough,” he sang over and over on the song of the same name, imploring the crowd to repeat it.

After an hour of sustained euphoria they finished, returning only for a brief encore of “Saturday Night” and leaving the crowd wanting more. For all that it was, like most reunions of this kind, a greatest hits set, there are few bands that can pull off a trip down memory lane with so much conviction.

Elsewhere the festival, now in its sixth year, continued to mix up cool up-and-comers, old timers and crowd-pleasers across music, comedy, literature and other fields. Despite weather reminiscent of Glastonbury (one day glorious, two days wet), the atmosphere remained that of an unfailingly good-natured lazy afternoon in the park. On Sunday, Scala and Kolacny Brothers, a project started by two classically trained Belgians that uses an all-female choir to deliver cover versions of Radiohead’s “Creep” and Prince’s “When Doves Cry” among others, struck a crowd-pleasing opening note. They were followed by the decidedly edgier Anna Calvi, who with pale skin and jet black hair looked a bit like PJ Harvey but sounded, on songs such as “Desire”, more like Patti Smith.

Later, during driving rain, the former Bloc Party main man Kele gave a masterclass in lifting the spirits with a set that was about as dancey as Latitude’s main stage gets, while The Waterboys inspired dancing of a more traditional kind with the fiddle-driven “Fisherman’s Blues” and “The Raggle Taggle Gypsy”.

As the afternoon turned to evening and the rain turned briefly into rainbows, the synth duo Hurts, accompanied by an opera singer, a string quartet and occasional dancers, opened their hearts to the crowd on “Unspoken”, “Stay” and a cover of Kylie Minogue’s “Confide in Me”. With levels of stylish melodrama suitably raised, the stage was well set for Suede.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9500ffb4-b140 ... z1SU8Clnwk
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

They were going to do My Insatiable One and Stay Together??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Please tell me you are taking the piss???!!!... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: So why the fuck did they not do them then???!!!!.... It can't have been for curfew reasons - they finished at 10.50pm... :shock: :?
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

the mood they were in, probs
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

The mood they were in???... but the audience were dying for more, the response was great and Brett was having such a great time - loving it!!!!... Seems strange... maybe they were too celebratory and just wanted to do Sat Night...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

‎"Finally, as darkness fell over the last day, we came to the other reason for paying the ticket price – Suede. Their first festival slot in over a decade, the London band came on with a performance to end Latitude 2011 on a high. Swaggering across the stage in trademark black, Brett Anderson showed all the prickish charm you want from a frontman, the original template from which every Jarvis and Liam in Britpop has since been cut. Suede’s performance is one of the tightest I’ve seen by any band, with Anderson leading the giddy charge on a barrage of hits.

Despite having not listened to their albums for over a decade, I found myself singing along to every word as Suede rolled through their hits. We Are the Pigs, Animal Nitrate, Filmstar, Beautiful Ones – every song a crowdpleaser; no mean feat for a crowd that often refused to be pleased this weekend. The encore of Saturday Night saw frontman Brett descend on the crowd to be groped by a hundred eager hands before the band disappeared from the festival stage, hopefully for a less protracted period, leaving us with only a river of mud to wade through for the long journey home."

Johnny Penwarden, Beehivecity unbiased media and entertainment news...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:lol: