How did you get into Suede?

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!

Hi, I'm a Suede fan and I'm from the class of...:

Suede
53%
Dog Man Star
9%
Coming Up
25%
Sci-Fi Lullabies
No votes
Head Music
3%
A New Morning
No votes
Singles
No votes
The Tears
3%
Brett solo
6%
Bernard solo
No votes

Total votes: 32

mark
Flight attendant

Re: How did you get into Suede?

Post by mark »

Yeah it's like a film everyone hypes up - i'm like "it was good, but was it really THAT good"!!! :roll:
urchin

Post by urchin »

Haha, permitted shag list!! Damn I need one of those.

I've been in love with Suede since the Drowners EP, seems like a lifetime ago and I wouldnt be the same person I am today without them.
A friend of mine who is a chef once cooked for Brett, and when Brett came back to the kitchen to thank the chef, Simon (my friend) made him sign his chefs jacket.
Jammy BAStard is all I can say. haha!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:mrgreen:
Canine_in_the_a_line

Post by Canine_in_the_a_line »

I read the "best new band in Britain" headline in Melody Maker, then picked up their first three singles the day they came out just to see what the hype was all about. Then wore them out listening to them. Even my sister knew the lyrics by saturday afternoon. "Finally" I thought, ".....Genesis and Klapton can fuck off".

The thing that impressed me as much as the A-side, and daring to sing about sex, drugs, depression, unemployment, the dole, needles, council estates and violence, was that the B-sides could also have been singles. And the lyrics on the album made sense to a partially depressed 19 year old who had just written his car off after being dumped by his girlfriend.

BTW - WTF is a wonderwall ?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

lol - a wonderwall - hmmm.... I know that Noel Gallagher said "It's a song about an imaginary friend who's gonna come and save you from yourself." - whatever that means!!! Don't know where the fuck they got the name from though lol...

Apparently Liam hates wonderwall - "I can't fucking stand that fucking song! Every time I have to sing it I want to gag. Problem is, it was a big, big tune for us." :evil: :lol:
urchin

Post by urchin »

lol, well I imagine it's a person who resembles a wonderful wall :)
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

a bit like stay together and brett...
flow23

Post by flow23 »

i saw suedes animal nitrate vid on mtv and it got my attention as bernards solo was part of mtvs greatest hits "intro jingle" that i loved.
i forgot about it and a bit later dms came out that a friend played to me i was like: paff! thats the best record i have heard in years!
the next day i left for prague and bought the record right there... what a fantastic time that was....what a remarkable time ans record...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:mrgreen: - there was always a song that got people into the band - for u animal nitrate for me it was trash... just great songs and a great band!!! :D
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

So Young was the first hit for me...until I found the EssentialSuede site, I had no idea what Brett was singing in the intro. I thought it went something like "Speak up...stop...to walk out...she walks."

That first listen of the debut album is one of my favorite musical memories; walking around and hearing this amazing music...the melody of She's Not Dead, the crunch of Metal Mickey, that great rising guitar line at the end of Sleeping Pills...

But thank God for the lyric sheet... :wink:
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I still get occasionally embarrassed when even now I mishear certain words in certain songs and sing them wrong for ages until i suddenly realise when looking at the lyrics sheet!!!! :oops:

Oh and yes respect to essentialsuede and the amazing clauds!!!!!!! :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

where is she hiding? :?:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

She's hiding in cyberspace....!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Ah, misheard lyrics...I'm guessing Suede would be one of the best bands for that, no? Unless you count, say, the Cocteau Twins...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

i'd say the manics - the way JDB sings and the speed he sings at makes whole songs indechiperable sometimes...!!!