How did you get into Suede?

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!

Hi, I'm a Suede fan and I'm from the class of...:

Suede
53%
Dog Man Star
9%
Coming Up
25%
Sci-Fi Lullabies
No votes
Head Music
3%
A New Morning
No votes
Singles
No votes
The Tears
3%
Brett solo
6%
Bernard solo
No votes

Total votes: 32

Brettspiel
Passenger (Business Class)

Re: How did you get into Suede?

Post by Brettspiel »

i am anyone... sorry. just messing around again - i love forums... :roll:

forgive me and I'll forgive you the brett-blonde-violet velvet shirt-picture! :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheekychopsticks

Post by cheekychopsticks »

I remember watching the video for the drowners in 1992, must have been bout 13!! Ever since then I was hooked, cutting out articles from melody maker and select and painting the album cover for their debut on my school bag :) I was even kicked out of church for wearing the t.shirt! Hardcore...i know :wink: But it was Dog Man Star that had me hooked from introducing the band right the way through to Still Life....man that album got me through some dark times.

So i really really hope they tour as much as they can and i'm disappointed there has not been more press about it, but so happy to see they are really enjoying it again :D Let the good times roll!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

haha!!! yeah, nice!!

were you wearing the 'gayanimalsex' t-shirt in church??!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Painted Person

Post by Painted Person »

oooo fab topic! Want to reply now but no time as have to pick up child/monster from nursery. I shall return! I love reading other peoples experiences of suedeism.
Painted Person

Post by Painted Person »

I was 12 when I heard Drowners and really liked it, it struck a chord with me. I was a bit of a loner at school, everyone else was wearing slamming vinyl puffa jackest and I had dyed orange and purple hair and was called a lesbian all the time. I first started to get obsessed when Animal Nitrate came out and commenced with sitting in front of the telly with a blank tape in the machine ready to record everything. I wasn't allowed to go to any gigs from the 'suede' album era as was too young, but when DMS came out I stopped eating lunch at school to save the money for tickets and transport to gigs. Getting grounded after each one! The DMS era was one of the happiest times of my life. I made loads of friends and pen pals via SIS, swapped bootlegs and live recordings. I used to use the band as my diary, I would rite to a different member each week, i felt I had no one else. Just having them there as an outlet helped me though some really horrible periods.

We were on a boating holiday when Trash came out and I was getting really upset about missing the TOTP performamnce and caused such a fuss that we had to go home a day early so I could watch it live even though the machine was set to record it :lol:

I was at the fan club gig where Neil was introduced (got my back puked on..nice) I thought he was a girl and was insanely jealous.I remember the difference in the fans on the CU tour, way less flopping fringes and more check shirts and yobs. I loved CU but the for me, the b-sides had really reduced in quality although there was still the occasional gem. I was at the Braintree gig where Justine came on stage which was ace as was a big Elastica fan too.

I went to the fanclub gig at the Astoria for HM. The music didn't click with me, I left feeling really upset. There are some amazing tracks on that record, but also some , dare i say it...utter rubbish. I felt embarrassed for them when I first heard 'She's in fashion'.

I am indifferent to ANM, i don't feel angry about any of the song like i did with HM, but it is a bit weak and Brett's voice sounds knackered.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

it is nice to see brett's voice recovered these days
Painted Person

Post by Painted Person »

With Brett's solo work...I put off getting it for a long time, as I wanted to remember him being excellent and I was worried it wouldn't be. His debut solo album is, in my opinion far better the ANM. Wilderness is beautiful, haunting and gorgeous. Slow attack is a slow grower, some of the song had me right away, others I am only now being to appreciate.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

nice story PP!!! I like that bit about the 'yobs' lol - that must be where I come into it - the CU era!!! When I saw Tommy Vance introduce the video to 'Trash' on VH1 I thought is was one of the most amazing things i'd seen and heard!!! And the TOTP performance blew me away too (even though it was mimed!) - they just looked so cool!!! :D

I was a bit disappointed with HM when I first heard it after CU (even though there were several standouts)... Funny thing is though, even though I haven't listened to it in a while I really, really love it - one of my favs now - savoir faire, hi fi, asbestos - love em - and of course the ballads are great!!!...

My proudest moment as a CU era fan though as i've said several times before was when all the laddie lads nearly wet themselves with excitement when they saw I had bought my copy of CU away with me on a school holiday!!!! - they demanded to hear it on a cd player they had bought with them - it felt good because Suede were actually really cool at that point and loads of people seemed to love what they were doing!!!

oh and i quite enjoyed Brett's raspier, gravellier voice on ANM - but of course i'm so glad he got his range back after giving up the smokes and drugs so we could have gems like 'hymn'!!!!
proppingupthebar

Post by proppingupthebar »

I've had to vote Head Music cos that's the time that I started to get interested in Suede.. To my shame, I heard She's In Fashion before I heard Animal Nitrate. First album I bought was Coming Up.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

welcome btw proppingupthebar!!!
jarvizcocker

Post by jarvizcocker »

someone on lj recommended the s/t to bowie fans and i fell in love with it instantly. couldn't stop listening to 'she's not dead'
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

lj??? s/t??? god i'm shit at getting abbreviations lol!!! :shock: :roll:

oh and i adore bowie too lol!!!!
odilemonod

Post by odilemonod »

mark wrote:lj??? s/t??? god i'm shit at getting abbreviations lol!!! :shock: :roll:

oh and i adore bowie too lol!!!!
livejournal = lj
s/t = self titled
:wink:

By the way, I knew Suede by hearsay thanks to a couple of Radiohead (the very first band I got into) statements about the band but I never really listened to them until 2005 when Here Come The Tears came out.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Well I really loved that Tears album so nice that u got into them through that!!! Still love songs like autograph, refugees, lovers, fallen idol, two creatures, alasad....!

Thanks with the abreviations btw!!!! 8)
kats_d

Post by kats_d »

I saw The Drowners video on MTV (back when it was good!) and was hooked for life! I booked flights to London to see Suede at the Clapham Grand in July '93, which is where I managed to sneak backstage to the aftershow party. I met the band, got all their autographs and even managed to get a kiss from Brett!!! :D :oops: I was in 7th heaven and moved to London for good that November and haven't missed a Suede gig in London since!