Still Life; which version do you prefer?

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!

Which arrangement?

Acoustic
11%
Strings
89%

Total votes: 9

SoGone
Flight attendant

Re: Still Life; which version do you prefer?

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:simple, heartfelt, touching, sad, beautiful... it carries so much emotion, yearning, desperation, a desire to escape... It sums up about every feeling of need to move on and do something different in your life - be with someone, go somewhere, move on from your past and of course the idea of seeing someone u haved loved who has passed away in another place and another time...

We're talking about The Next Life, not Europe Is Our Playground. :wink:

Seriously, I guess for some reason the song just doesn't do it for me...the lyrics don't seem "on" enough (especially compared to DMS), the music bores me (except maybe some moments in the middle), and the sadness just seems so shallow compared to She's Not Dead or Sleeping Pills or Breakdown...

Just an opinion from someone who considers Crack In The Union Jack to be the equal of anything on DMS. :wink:
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Europe Is Our Playground is a great, great song but nothing close to any of the ballads from either of the first two albums!!!

Wow - Brett wrote the song about the death of his mother from cancer and you think it sounds really shallow???!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess everyone likes different things!!!.... I actually don't mind Crack In The Union Jack, it's an ok song even though many people hate it!!!!...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

thanks God for that!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Europe Is Our Playground is by far the most emotional song Suede (or Brett/Bernard solo) ever came up with, imvho. At least the remake is...I love the change-up at the end of the second chorus. It's one of those rare perfect moments that even great bands only have a few of. If I had to prove Suede's greatness in one track, it'd be either that song or My Dark Star.

I didn't know what the inspiration for The Next Life was...but I still stand by my original opinion. It's possible to tackle a really weighty topic and come up with something really lame (see any number of crummy 60's "protest" songs). :)

Maybe another poll? :D
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

EIOP most emotional??? Wrong lol!!!

maybe The 2 of us, next life, still life, living dead... EIOP is a nice ballad but not really emotional at all but still very nice!!! hahaha!!! Most emotional song Brett has ever written is actually probably P. Marius or Song For My Father and that includes the tears and suede too - never felt really emotional about EIOP but i have cried more than once listening to P.Marius.... Next life lame???!!! wow hahaha!!!

It's cool that we all see things differently... But then I am a sucker for most Suede stuff, even their weaker songs!!!... Have to admit I loved EIOP when I first heard it as the b-side to Trash!!!.... :D
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Haha, ok, maybe The Living Dead comes really, really close (the Stay Together EP is pure class!!!). Nothing against The Two Of Us or Still Life, just that they don't touch me the way Europe does...maybe it's my sheltered life. :D

And re: The Next Life, at least it's not as bad as These Are The Sad Songs or W.S.D. :D
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I think maybe The 2 of us connects to me particularly because not too long ago I was literally spending a lot of my time lying in my bed watching my mistakes and listening to the band wishing it could be the two of us!!!!.... A broken heart does that to you you know!!!! :cry: lol!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

bless