Suede VHS / Videos

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Suede VHS / Videos

Post by mark »

No we shouldn't get into that SoGone if you're trying to say that Bowie had horrible songs and Suede rescued them or something lol!!! Bowie is a living legend!!! Well you of course are entitled to your opinion and I love the manics to pieces but to suggest GnR's songs were all horrible when they made several of the greatest rock songs of all time (November Rain, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City) is a bit much lol!!! Oh and of course they had one of the most talented guitarists of all time in Slash too - there aren't many that can outplay him!!!! :D Well I like bits and pieces of GnR and am a much more avid Manics fan if you are using them as a comparison but there were some great songs GnR created too - in my opinion of course!!!...

Rock definitely exists still in some cases - bands like Kings Of Leon and Muse as an instance I would label more rock than anything else...

Wow so you don't like decent bands or 'The Next Life' - i'm getting scared now :lol: !!! No of course I am joking and that is fair enough...

As for The Libertines - personally thought they were pretty awful but I know they had a lot of fans - couldn't sing, couldn't play - one or two of Doherty's other songs and Babyshambles stuff I didn't mind so much... And being able to sing and play does matter despite what anyone shouting from the rooftops about punk might suggest - the pistols were extremely talented musicians (minus sid!!!) and Rotten's ranting voice had a rare quality - he didn't sound stoned or fucked a la Doherty!!!! To be fair when he wants to he can sing well, I think 'For Lovers' is a great song... :D

Oh and I hate The Artic Monkeys too - never understood what all the fuss was about with them, an average high school rock band... :roll: :wink:

btw SoGone, love all the music you like - I wouldn't slag you off for liking them - I might on the other hand slag them off themselves lol!!! :mrgreen: :twisted:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Let's just say the only Bowie song I appreciate is Suffragette City...and then only when Steve Jones does it!

::Hides::

I thought I'd like Muse, because I was told they were like XTC. Then I heard Muse and remembered my conviction that if someone tells me that I'll love Band A because I like Band B, 99% of the time I'll hate Band A. :D

It's true that the Libertines are sort of "bad," and definitely true that the original punk bands could play (especially the Pistols!!! And maybe Diggle and Shelley were technically limited, but John Maher came up with some mindblowing drumming). I'm certainly not going to defend Up The Bracket as a masterpiece...I don't get where that comes from at all. But I do like it, in an A New Morning way.

But I'm still one of those "technical skill doesn't matter" people...heck, I love the live New Order album (I think it's from a BBC broadcast), and it's awful as regards skill...Bernard blows everything he sings (and hilariously misses every chord during the choruses of Temptation), Gillian's unsteady on the synths...but it has all the joy and excitement a record should have. :D

Yeah, the Arctic Monkeys sort of suck, as do The White Stripes (they tend to get lumped together, for some reason...)

And Marquis, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is one of those bands I keep hearing about but never got around to listening to...when I get home, I'm definitely going to Youtube that song. :)
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
Marquis

Post by Marquis »

for info, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club are on tour in Europe, and they are not coming over here very often..........!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

(flo, where did you hear that?)
Florence

Post by Florence »

SoGone wrote: (I sort of feel the same way about what Suede did with their Bowie influences, but maybe we shouldn't get into that. :D )
oohlala indeed we shouldn't..
i think to really appreciate bowie you need to know him in his entirety
don't know how much you know, but i'm sure there's an attractive approach for everyone to appreciate him, you just have to fall on the good one

Sun> just a few second in "le grand journal"
i don't know exactly why there's such a fuss about that tribute as there are (except a few ones) mainly underground bands, and there's already a full of tribute like that
Florence

Post by Florence »

here you are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVVwnZZ2IjU
bon courage..
verses are ok (although boring: sing blank sing blank sing blank), but chorus really hurt my ears
(and the piano si not interesting)
damn she even broke my youtube IE sounds..

replace the piano by violin, carla by kerenn and you got a far more interesting cover here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XGrZKxb5AM

and this is even far much better and fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD8Zu3LOJ10
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

SoGone - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!!! Mr Bowie is indeed a genius of epic proporotions who u should appreciate lol! - even just the hits alone show that - Starman, Space Oddity, Life On Mars, Ziggy Stardust, Rebel Rebel, Heroes, Fame, Young Americans, Sound & Vision, Jean Genie, Let's Dance, China Girl, Diamond Dogs, Suffregette City, Modern Love, Slow Burn, Golden Years, Man Who Sold The World, Loving The Alien, Blue Jean, Fashion - just to name a selection - all classic songs!!!!

You seem to hate so much music SG - we'll have to try save ur soul until it's too late lol!!!! :mrgreen: :wink:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Let's just say I identify with something Chris Lowe said: "Yes, I dislike a lot of music, but what I do like, I love passionately" (Or something like that...) :D
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

ok :roll: So much hate at such a young age lol!!! :shock: :mrgreen:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Living up to my username, I fear. :shock:

(And I've never even chased the dragon.)
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

it's not that bad, flo... but yeah, she should stick to singing in French or Italian...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I am beginning to love you SoGone...!!! :mrgreen: Maybe one day we will find out what your real name is!!!! :shock: :!: :P
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Well, my name, it ain't nothing; my age, it means less...

(Oops, I forgot, you're not a Bob Dylan fan. Dang. :D Oh, and I'm an Andrew.)
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Andrew - you stole my middle name !!! :)... well I asked ur name not only out of politeness but also because it feels a bit weird to keep referring to u as sogone all the time lol!!!... so to show u the gentleman that I am, pleased to meet you Andrew... :D
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Please to meet you, mark! (I assume that's your real name, yes? :D )