for collectors - best of

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
mark
Flight attendant
Posts: 5865
Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 06:00
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by mark » 25 Sep 2010, 02:30

Bruce was slagged off by Brett in an early interview??? Er weird, Brett has namechecked him or at least one of his albums as being a big fan of lol!!! Which interview was it where he slagged him off?? I definitely remember an interview where he spoke with passion about Springsteen and being a fan of his and the E Street Band!!! And btw So Gone, it is kinda funny to think that just because Brett might not like something then immediately just because someone happens to be a Suede fan u think that they would not listen to it because Brett doesn't like it... Er Brett may be 'god' lol but I think I can decide what music I do and don't like by myself... Springsteen had a few nice songs in the hits department but I guess it's just a bit old skool and reminds me a bit of someone like Joe Cocker - like kinda ok but never cool and a little naff but - well of course whether music is cool or not shouldn't matter I guess.. to be far, as I said he's had a few big hits but things like 'Born In the USA' is a bit ubiquitous!!! 'Born To Run' and 'Dancing In The Dark' are a little better and yes as I said, I admit, I saw him last year at Glastonbury on the telly and he was ... well... great lol!!!... I will give him that... To me Springsteen is just like a guy who has always been there and is like - well nothing great but nothing terrible either!!! he just exists lol!!! Never really had much of a dylan interest really... Going back to the past it's Stones, kinks, some beatles, bowie, pistols, clash, t-rex all the way !!!! :) i'm much more of an indie kid especially from the manics, pulp, oasis, supergrass era... :) oh and menswear had a few good songs - daydreamer is a cool song and his voice is kinda weird and compelling in that song but I don't laugh at it !!!... And anyway I don't believe in being brave bah, bah, bah, bah!!!! :)

Hey actually while we're discussing these things So Gone, let me ask u - who or what has shaped ur music taste??? I mean your into a lot of old school stuff like dylan and springsteen as u said and ur only 21 so - is it the music ur parents grew up with that u like or from somewhere else??? Not that i'm saying ur parents grew up in dylans heyday, that's more likely my parents lol!!!!

Oh and yeah sun i don't actually know exactly what u do teach - more than one thing?? I mean you being spanish I have always presumed spanish lol!!! But then u told me in a pm once u had been running with ur kids so do u do a bit of everything???!!!

SoGone
Flight attendant
Posts: 2995
Joined: 27 May 2010, 12:13
Location: Nowhere town

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by SoGone » 25 Sep 2010, 14:36

True, I don't think Suedeheads are necessarily Brett's disciples...but at a lot of the forums I've been to, the general opinions re: music tend to be fairly strongly correlated with the artist's feelings; so you won't find many Pink Floyd fans at the Sex Pistols forum, not manny blues-haters at the Dylan boards, etc. :D

I can't remember the exact interview or quote...it had something to do with Brett talking about how great iwas to be Englush, saying that "all this American stuff bores me, Bruce Springsteen and all that." He said something about the streets of London requiring intellignece to navigate, not like the gridded streets of New York....

The Kinks and The Clash were good enough (the Who too), but like you, I'd rather have Oasis, Pulp, etc. Never got Supergrass, though...or the "softer" Britpop acts like Gene and Travis.

Haha, "Being Brave"...it's one of the least compelling ballads I've ever heard. But there's something so campy about it that it's infinitely lovable, in a really sick way. :D

Re: Springsteen...if you ever get the chance, I'd say give The Ghost Of Tom Joad a try. It's like DMS compared to A New Morning. Much darker and less campy than Springsteen's other stuff...

Actually, my mom did grow up during Dylan's day...but she was more into the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Peter, Paul, & Mary...the poppier stuff. But now she loves Dog Man Star and some of the Stone Roses stuff, so it'd all good. :D

I got into Dylan when one of my teachers played us BLowin' In The Wind (only good thing I ever got out of school!)

Not to be impolite, mark, but how old did you say you were?
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!

mark
Flight attendant
Posts: 5865
Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 06:00
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by mark » 25 Sep 2010, 14:58

I thought The Who were MASSIVELY overrated, I think they were quite ba boring band - even My Generation has no real balls to it despite all the fuss that is made about it!!!...

Supergress had some good moments, I really like the 'In It For The Money' album...! :)

And Brett for whatever he said definitely did say some very positive things about liking Springsteen at some point - maybe he's changed - I remember him slating stuff like Jazz music then later saying he had opened his mind to it having previously thought it was a kind of music he couldn't like - then he said now he loves it!!!!....

It's not impolite Andrew, I am not so old I need to hide my age yet lol!!! I am 10 years older than u, 31!...

Oh and there's nothing wrong with a bit of camp in music sometimes, I mean a bit of elton or queen or whatever!!!... I don't fit the usual gay stereotypes of loving kylie and madonna and all that though.... god!.... :(

SoGone
Flight attendant
Posts: 2995
Joined: 27 May 2010, 12:13
Location: Nowhere town

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by SoGone » 25 Sep 2010, 15:12

I'm not a fan of the "big" Who singles (Generation, I Can See For Miles, Won't Get Fooled Again), but some of their album tracks are ace. So Sad About Us, La-La Lies, The Song Is Over...admittedly, I've soured on them a lot since freshman year, but hey... :wink:

Elton's great!!! Kylie's ok in small doses; Stock Aitken Waterman are a great guilty pleasure, and "Confide In Me" is a lovely pop song...and I love "Some Kind of Bliss" (yay James & Sean!). But Queen and Maddy...ugh. :D
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!

mark
Flight attendant
Posts: 5865
Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 06:00
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by mark » 25 Sep 2010, 16:01

You're the second person today who has gone all urgh about queen when I have mentioned them... They were still the best act at Live Aid by a mile and that includes Bowie and U2 who were both great that day...!! :)

Hate to be reminded of the SAW days of Kylie even though I remember everyone (including myself!) loving them at the time... The Kylie songs you mention are quite good though.... As for Maddy well, you talk of guilty pleasures and well, even though I am no real fan and have none of her songs on my ipod - I remember nicking my mum's copy of her greatest hits some years back and listening and well... Quite liking Borderline, Crazy For You and La Isla Bonita lol!!! hahahaha!!! :oops:

sunshine
Flight attendant
Posts: 7562
Joined: 14 Feb 2002, 01:00

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by sunshine » 25 Sep 2010, 19:17

yeah, mark, i am superman! :lol:

SoGone
Flight attendant
Posts: 2995
Joined: 27 May 2010, 12:13
Location: Nowhere town

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by SoGone » 25 Sep 2010, 22:47

Talking about the best act at Live Aid is like talking about the best song on a Morrissey solo...

(Wait...positivity, positivity. Repeat mantra as needed.)

Sorry about that. But yeah. Live Aid. :wink:
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!

mark
Flight attendant
Posts: 5865
Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 06:00
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by mark » 26 Sep 2010, 05:12

hmmm well i don't get that reference at all i am afraid lol - either you're telling me u think live aid was shit or ur telling me that every act was equally amazing at live aid... which is totally wrong... in whichever case it's stupid.... oh andrew c'mon, u must have something to say i can agree with??? i dunno, the youth of today!!! :roll: :wink: hehe - joke! :wink: :)

sunshine
Flight attendant
Posts: 7562
Joined: 14 Feb 2002, 01:00

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by sunshine » 26 Sep 2010, 10:00

i bet he loves rod! :lol:

mark
Flight attendant
Posts: 5865
Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 06:00
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by mark » 26 Sep 2010, 11:56

lmao!!!! hahahaha!! :mrgreen: no sun, I think Rod is a little too cool for him...!!! :) oh and u said ur a superman sun??? oh, desperately trying hard not to imagine u now wearing red and blue lycra lol!!! :shock: :o :lol:

SoGone
Flight attendant
Posts: 2995
Joined: 27 May 2010, 12:13
Location: Nowhere town

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by SoGone » 26 Sep 2010, 14:52

Rod Stewart? Slightly more tolerable than Bowie...and Live Aid, for that matter. But only very slightly. :P

I dunno, mark...let's see, The Seahorses are horrible? Electronic is massively disappointing? Felt is quite possibly better than The Smiths (nothing against the Smiths, just that Lawrence's twisted genius is hard to match)? "Slide Away" is the best Oasis song? Pet Shop Boys are a genius pop outfit? "Atmosphere" is the best Joy Division song? Everything Beth Gibbons sings is brilliant? "Blue Girls" is one of the best Pulp songs? "Automatic" is miles ahead of "Psychocandy"? The first Simply Red album is a masterpiece?

Anything there you can cotton to?

::Hopeful tilt of head::


Or, mark, anything you can say that I can relate to? :P
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!

sunshine
Flight attendant
Posts: 7562
Joined: 14 Feb 2002, 01:00

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by sunshine » 26 Sep 2010, 15:27

OH YES! :lol: Roderick David Stewart 8)

mark
Flight attendant
Posts: 5865
Joined: 20 Feb 2002, 06:00
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by mark » 26 Sep 2010, 15:51

omfg!!! oh yeah Andrew so u are telling me the guy who made songs like the appalling 'do ya think i'm sexy?', 'We Are Sailing' and 'Baby Jane' is better or in your words 'more tolerable' than the genius lizard king 'we're not worthy' hero of all bowie??? I can think of many more exceptionally talented individuals who have become giants of the music world who have been influenced by bowie than by Mr Stewart - he should have stuck to what he was good at, playing football not making records!!! :lol: :shock: :wink: 'Slide Away' is quite a good oasis song but wouldn't come anywhere close to their 10 best songs - and don't worry, i'm no big fan of wonderwall despite it's ever presence in most fans hearts...! Seahorses were ok, nothing amazing but ok... I think 'Love Is The Law' is lyrically one of the funniest songs ever written...!! "strap-on Sally chases down the alley, we hid for our behinds" lmao!!!! :P :lol: c'mon that's funny - "love is the law so take me deep inside"!!! lmao!!! You've lost me on some of the other stuff but hey, I agree about simply red - their first album was far, far better than anything they later did... mind you i've never been much of a fan of theirs!!!...

Never heard of 'Blue Girls' but yes Pet Shop Boys were a great band and you can dispute this fact all you want but - imo, 'West End Girls' is the best song released in the 80's by a mile... hmm... maybe that is hard to prove considering al la smiths, new order etc were around at that time but i still love that song!!! :)

Another fact i'll state - far from it being embarrassing to admit to owning the greatest hits of Duran Duran and Simple Minds it is in fact something to be greatly proud of!!!! :mrgreen: :D

SoGone
Flight attendant
Posts: 2995
Joined: 27 May 2010, 12:13
Location: Nowhere town

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by SoGone » 26 Sep 2010, 16:01

Believe me, I hate everything Rod Stewart ever did, including the Faces (and the Small Faces weren't much better). But I'd still rather have him than Bowie. Sort of thesame way I'd rather have Macca than Ringo. :P

So which Rod are you talking about? ::Scratches head::

Wonderwall is listenable on the album, but it's by far the worst song there...and it pains me that it's the only song of theirs that people over here know.

Out of curiosity, mark, what would your top 10 Oasis tracks list look like?

I dunno about Love Is The Law...though "Strap-on Sally" would make an excellent username at a Squire forum. :D

"Blue Girls" is on the first Pulp album and the Countdown comp...I dunno, I really like that song for some reason. It's no "Pink Glove" or "Common People" or "The Fear," but it's still glorious.

You don't like Portishead? :(

"West End Girls" is friggin' fantastic, but I can think of a dozen better ones..."Two Divided By Zero," the single edit of "Left To My Own Devices," almost anything from "Behaviour"...damn, I love Neil & Chris. :D

That said, New Order completely destroy PSB, imvho! Disc 1 of Substance is quite possibly the single greatest thing that ever happened to me, Bob Dylan notwithstanding. (How sad is that?) 8)


RE: Duran Duan...I like Girls On Film, but that's about it...and I'm of the "their name aptly describes them" camp when it comes to Simple Minds. :P
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!

sunshine
Flight attendant
Posts: 7562
Joined: 14 Feb 2002, 01:00

Re: for collectors - best of

Post by sunshine » 26 Sep 2010, 18:09

whatever, marky!

Post Reply