The other day I saw a license plate that read "DMS-1994"

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Re: The other day I saw a license plate that read "DMS-1994"

Post by SoGone »

I don't even notice the bass in Electricity! And I'd say that the key to To The Birds is Bernard's chord pattern, which is positively heavenly (I know the revisionist view seems to be that Bernard was no great shakes, but I do think his compositions were far more beautiful than anything Oakes or Brett on his own ever came up with).

I agree that the bass is definitely not irrelevant in Suede's songs (and I think one of the best arguments for the debut being their best work is because every element does work together, more or less equally), and in fact, Osman would have done the band a great disservice if he had been a Hooky or even Andy Rourke...instead, he gave the band solid but unremarkable bass lines, which is precisely what Suede's songs require, imo.

Ditto with Simon; apart from a few moments (the fills in "So Young"), he never stood out...but that was a good thing. They were a solid rhythm section...but had they had a crack at, say, The Tears' songs, I really don't think "Here Come The Tears" would have sounded much different.

He's Dead has never been one of my favorites, so maybe that's why I don't appreciate it, but I just remember a long instrumental part that sort of bores me. :shock:
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

hahahaha!!! So weird!!! You say you don't even notice the basslines in 'Electricity' when almost every comment there has ever been on that song has always been about how it is a song totally created around the bassline/hook!!! When the song starts it is totally about the bassline in the way it opens but hey ho... :roll: oh and if you want to hear just how much the bass is a part of Suede's songs listen to the remastered versions - they have become VERY bass heavy to me!!!!

Simon never stood out???!!! :lol: :shock: hmm - how about The Drowners opening, She's Not Dead drum rolls, the drums on most of coming up (especially the drum rolls on Beautiful ones), this hollywood life, heroine, he's dead... erm hang on i better stop else i'll just name virtually every Suede song...

I have read before about the fact that people find Gilbert/Osman as 'solid' but I find that does them a terrible disservice - there are great musicians and perhaps it is only that Suede had two ultra talented guitarists and an outstanding singer/songwriter/frontman that they kinda get forgotten about....

Oh and I wouldn't say Bernard is no great shakes - I just prefer Richard that's all - to the extent where I actually perfer Richard playing Butler's guitar parts!!! :) And hey i'd have to admit that despite the greatness of CU and much of HM definitely in terms of creativity Anderson/Butler produced sweeter fruits overall - it's just that as a musician I have a lot more time for Oakesy!!! :)

The thing I love about you Andrew is the fact I disagree with almost everything u ever say hehehe!! :) :mrgreen:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

oooh dear!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:D :mrgreen: :wink:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock: :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

To me, "Electricity" is a drum machine mixed a bit too loud, an annoying synthy-guitar thing, and a ridiculously processed vocal...and you know, I love the damn thing to death. It's one of those "everything's wrong but it's great anyway" deals.

Ok, I'll give you the opening to The Drowners and the intro to She's Not Dead...but that's all debut album stuff still! And you didn't mention the "big one" I forgot (the lead-in to the "Trash" chorus), but none of that is on the level of Keith Moon or Stephen Morris (fuck it) even Paul Cook.

I think Brett/Bernard/Richard get most of the attention because they're generally the writers...although Mat has a co-write on my beloved Europe Is Our Playground (but we've been over that before!) and (if memory serves) something on A New Morning.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

yeah, yeah ok.... whatever lol!!!! stop ya back tracking and just admit marky is right hehehehe!!! :) And yep electricty is amazing and NOTHING is wrong with it - ok processed vocals but no drum machine and GREAT bass!!!! stop it boy!!!! :lol:
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock: :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:"Public Image" is amazing and NOTHING is wrong with it - ok processed vocals but
Edited to make sense. :P :D
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

'Public Image'???!!! :lol: I love that song!!!! :mrgreen: 8)
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

marky, where you watching the take that thing last night? :lol:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:'Public Image'???!!! :lol: I love that song!!!! :mrgreen: 8)

Whoa; we have something in common! Stop the world, I'm getting off!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Er no sun, believe it or not I am not a Take That fan!!!! :shock: Although I did come across their cover version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' on youtube for the first time yesterday!!!! :shock: Quite bizarre!!!!

And yes Andrew, good isn't it???!!!! :mrgreen:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

We need to start a list. So far we have the first PIL single, the Sex Pistols...um, what else? :D
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Well you seem to like Oasis and Manic Street Preachers and so do I... :roll: :D