A stupid game

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!

One track has to go

Trash
No votes
Filmstar
17%
Lazy
17%
By The Sea
17%
She
No votes
Beautiful Ones
No votes
Starcrazy
33%
Picnic By The Motorway
17%
The Chemistry Between Us
No votes
Saturday Night
No votes

Total votes: 6

SoGone
Flight attendant

A stupid game

Post by SoGone »

You are Suede's manager, in charge of all their decisions regarding what gets released. "Coming Up" has been submitted to the record company. Unfortunately, music bureaucracies being what they are, you are told that the album is too long. One song has to go, no questions asked. What song do you drop? Assume you can't release the dropped song as a single; it goes into the archives, bootlegs its final resting place.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: A stupid game

Post by mark »

NEVER!!! IMPOSSIBLE - i rate every song on that album 10/10 and it can't be done!!! i'd rather fuck the record company and release it as a free download for fans than let those bastards kill my precious album!!! - the album that made me fall in love with Suede in the first place!!! How could you even suggest such a thing Andrew???!!! :shock: :x :x :x :cry:

And how the fuck can their shortest album need to be cut lol???!! :? you're saying that 10 tracks is too long???!!! Seriously, if we're going to play 'make believe' the premise at least needs to be a credible one in the first place!!!! :roll: :wink:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I wanted to do ANM, but you only get 10 options in a poll, so unfortunately, it had to be CU...and I explained that it's a record company thing. When has a record company EVER acted logically? :P

I'm not suggesting that it be cut; I wouldn't change ANY of Suede's albums (well, except for a certain track on the debut, even though that's still my favorite Suede album... but we won't go there again!). That's why it's, ahem, a stupid game. It's challenging because it's so hard.

I mean, if it was a matter of "drop a song from Sgt. Pepper" on your average classic rock forum, it'd be no contest as to which track went...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

BTW, I just want to say in advance that if anyone participates in this and votes for "Picnic By The Motorway," I hate you.

Sincerely,

So Gone
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I was thinking maybe picnic even though I love it - especially the intro and the distorted vacant empty sad sounding vocals about being so sorry about the news
don't u worry i'll buy us a bottle and we'll drink in the petrol fumes - love it!!! so no i'm sorry i'm not chopping any of 'em!!! ever!!!

and what would u drop from sgt pepper's then??? I of course don't have any of their albums so I haven't a clue as to what's on it!!! :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

"I'm so sorry" is such an empty, cliched phrase, but the way he sings it, coupled with the music...I might have to take back what I said about "Europe Is Our Playground," because those iterations of "I'm so sorry" are just about the saddest moments on any Suede song...and then there's that redeeming chorus (I used to think it was "such a lonely day," which made it even sadder), and then the perfect strings during the bridge...fuck, I love that song. It's the sound of a daydream.

Well, I hate the Beatles, but the general consensus among music fans is that "Within You Without You" is the clunker on that album. I only mentioned that one because it was the first album I could think of that has a generally accepted "one weak track."
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Makes me think of 'With You Within You' by Brett!!! Not a bad song just a similar name!!! :)

and I wouldn't call "i'm so sorry to hear about the news, don't you worry, i'll buy us a bottle and we'll drink in the petrol fumes" an empty or cliched phrase at all!!! :roll: :x
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Post by car wash *unt »

Was a hard decision but I chose "filmstar", cause it kind of gets boring with time, as it's a bit monotonous.
It's a great song though.
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Post by car wash *unt »

Double post.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:Makes me think of 'With You Within You' by Brett!!! Not a bad song just a similar name!!! :)

and I wouldn't call "i'm so sorry to hear about the news, don't you worry, i'll buy us a bottle and we'll drink in the petrol fumes" an empty or cliched phrase at all!!! :roll: :x

I just meant the phrase "I'm so sorry." I mean, how many lame-ass movie scripts and pop songs contain that line in a shitty sentence? But then add in the weird stuff about the petrol fumes and it becomes that "druggy English gothic" that we all love so much!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

car wash *unt wrote:Was a hard decision but I chose "filmstar", cause it kind of gets boring with time, as it's a bit monotonous.
It's a great song though.

I was tempted to say the same thing, because it was the last song to grow on me; for nearly a year, I thought it was the shite Suede single. Now I love it.

I went for "By The Sea," not necessarily because of its quality, but because when I play the album as a cathartic "sing along with cool glammy stuff" experience (which is rather frequent), I tend to skip it, just because I want to get to "She" and "Beautiful Ones."
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

oh per-leaze!!! stop picking apart a masterpiece for god's sake!!! heathens!!! :x
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

But see, mark, that's what makes it fun...trying to keep it a masterpiece without actually needing to change anything!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:cry:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

You know, I've never felt so attached to an album that I can't pick it apart even in jest. I mean, fuck, Never Mind The Bollocks is my favorite album ever, and even there sometimes I like to make an "ultimate" mix by including Spunk tracks.

But hey, maybe that's just me and one of my personality failings.