Thread to hate on Prince

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Thread to hate on Prince

Post by SoGone »

...actually, I don't really mind the guy. There are some good tracks on Purple Rain, but they're all marred by horrible production, a shitty mix (I get the point...there are drums on these songs!), and lapses of taste (like the moans in "When Doves Cry"). Sign O' The Times isn't bad, but it's pretty nondescript.

Still, I don't see why he's held in such high esteem. Sure, he was prolific and probably innovative for that time...but those qualities do not a great artist make.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Thread to hate on Prince

Post by mark »

I like Prince - he made some great songs... 1999 and When Doves Cry are on my ipod (wasn't Brett's version of 'When Doves Cry' brilliant btw???!!!)... I wouldn't rate him among my favourite artists but he was good... I actually haven't listened to his last couple of albums which he gave away free in newspaper promotions over here but he still seems to garner rave reviews... :D
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...never heard Brett's version. Remember, you're talking to someone who hasn't even heard all of the Suede B-sides...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Brett's version was on youtube - but he was forced to remove it by Prince's representatives because he gets all funny about cover versions of his songs!!! :roll: lucky that I saved it before it was removed and uploaded to my facebook - yet another reason why you should get a facebook account!!! suede videos, links, my photo's, videos of me singing and even presentation videos of me talking about suede and sharing the rarities I own!!!...

oh and there's no excuse not to have heard all of suede's b-sides - i think all the HM and ANM b-sides are on youtube...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...so much Youtube stuff is dodgy...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

omg what do you mean 'dodgy'??? stop being so paranoid! - make sure you have good up-to-date protection on your pc and everything will be fine - I visit youtube for music videos and other bits and pieces virtually every single day and have never had a problem in my life!!!! :shock: :? And the picture and sound quality of many videos on there is often extremely good...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...I was referring to the sound quality. And the HD videos take FOREVER to load, especially the ones on VEVO channels.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

not if you've got decent broadband - mine always load almost instantly....
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I don't have decent broadband...that could be it. : /
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

:shock: :( :cry: