Prefab Sprout appreciation thread

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Prefab Sprout appreciation thread

Post by SoGone »

...like Suede, their first four albums are just about perfect, a dud track here and there notwithstanding.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Prefab Sprout appreciation thread

Post by mark »

:lol: they used to play that fucking 'hot dog' song over and over again when I was doing work experience when I was 14 years old - every day, several times a day for 3 fucking weeks!!!... Catchy but it just sounds like a naff 80's song - reminds me of deacon blue or similar average 80's bands...

hmmm... i dunno, worst than that, whenever I think of them it reminds me of the most fucking awful tv theme tune ever to assault my ears - fucking terrible - not so sure about their other output but i'm afraid this aural piece of shit has tarnished any possible appreciation I could have for them!!!!.... a song so naff and sickly it makes me literally wanna puke - take a listen!!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQxPKghRiA
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

SoGone's law of "one-hit wonders" - 95% of the time, their "one hit" is by far their worst track, at least from that point in their career.

Other examples:

- Wonderwall (Oasis)
- Puppet On A String (Sandie Shaw)
- Hungry Heart (Bruce Springsteen)
- Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
- She (Elvis Costello)
- The Weight (The Band)
- Rock The Casbah (The Clash)
- There She Goes (The La's)
- If You Don't Know Me By Now (Simply Red); actually they're a two-hit wonder here, but "Holding Back The Years" is the worst track on Picture Book, so...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Rock The Casbah's a good song - not their best by any means but still good... That 'Where The Heart Is' theme tune is fucking terrible though!!!... :( It's funny about 'Wonderwall' too, I read an interview where Liam says he fucking hates that song and wished he didn't have to sing it but because it's their biggest hit he has no choice!!!!... :roll: :shock:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

I actually like all of the songs I listed (with the exception of "If You Don't Know Me By Now) to some degree, including The King Of Rock & Roll (i.e., the Prefab Sprout song). Like I said elsewhere here, at least Wonderwall has Liam's voice...though I don't blame him for not wanting to sing it! Terrible tune and lyrics.

Is "King of Rock & Roll" the Where The Heart Is theme tune?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

No mate - the 'Where The Heart Is' theme tune is an original song - fucking awful and I gave you a youtube link to listen to it!!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQxPKghRiA
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

No headphones here...:(

You'll have to keep reminding me until there's a time when I can actually listen to it...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

you forgetful???!!!... I thought just the other day you said you were in school wearing giant headphones????... or something!!! :?
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...yeah, but they're plugged into an .mp3 player...there are only a few computers here where you can actually use headphones...weird, but there you go.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

ok... :( :roll:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Grumble.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Yeah... grumble!!! :( not only are u unable to do your favourite pastime at school (jerking off) but also you can't even listen to videos on youtube!!!... :( grumble, grumble!!! :(
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Yeah, that song was pretty bad; sounds like the parts of their latter-day albums that I've heard (which is why I haven't bought those releases!).
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Told you it was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!! :x :evil:
some albino
Passenger (Business Class)

Post by some albino »

Prefab Sprout is pop perfection to me. They never came closer to to it than on Goodbye Lucille nr 1 and Andromeda Heights. Those just give me the chills.