Anyone here work as a waiter/waitress?

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Anyone here work as a waiter/waitress?

Post by SoGone »

...and if so, is it true that if a customer skips out on the bill, the server has to cover the cost? In a way, this sounds like an urban legend, but if restaurants handle cashing out the way the place I work does, it makes sense. I mean, not that it makes sense to make the server eat the cost, but as far as logistics go...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Anyone here work as a waiter/waitress?

Post by mark »

I don't know but I would have assumed it would come out of the eaterie's costs... I can't see that they would dock an individual staff members wages - how is it their fault???!!!... It just means for that particular customer they wouldn't get a tip...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Fault doesn't matter to a lot of businesses...they'll screw their employees any way they can.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Yeah but i've never heard of a customer running off and blame being put on the waiter/waitress - they're not security guards!!!... It's up to the owner/manager to make sure customers don't run off and to take ultimate responsiblity in the running of their business... If a customer shoplifts from the store I work in the deficit doesn't come out of my wages!!!... Although as a consequence long term theft right-offs vs profit may have an affect on company shares and future budget costings including wage increases... They have to cut down on theft, waste and employment hours and maximise productivity to continue to get the best results...