Bobby Fischer on religion

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Bobby Fischer on religion

Post by SoGone »

Not sure if this is a genuine quote, but whatever:

Church members shouldn't let themselves be confused. They begin not trusting in their own judgment, and then they're finished. That's a terrible, terrible thing. First, they get conducted in with a nice sweet program, no money, everything free, free, free. And then they get sucked in, and suddenly a few lies get mixed in. They are told that their human nature is wicked and these nice people who gave them all these things wouldn't be lying to them, would they? And then I think once you start distrusting your own mind you're finished. From there you just get more and more confused. Once you think that your own mind is not your friend any more-your own conscience and your own mind is not your friend-then I think you are on your way to insanity. You have been stripped bare. All your defenses are gone.
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Bobby Fischer on religion

Post by mark »

You were quite religious right???... And who's Bobby Fischer???!!!!... :?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

I think that's quite a good summery actually - indoctrination - but not only the church that counts for many things!!!!!...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Hmm, when I tried posting this thread, the board told me that I couldn't make a post so soon after my last one. Then I accidentally closed the tab, and didn't feel like retyping it. So interesting that it still somehow got saved...

I was religious for a few deluded early-adolescent years. And Bobby Fischer's basically either the greatest chess player who ever lived, or second or third (for Capablanca/Kasparov fans). Although he's a bit of a nutcase at times*, he also said some remarkably lucid things.

*[/understatement]
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Really???... I thought at first he was the Primal Scream singer but then I remembered that that was Bobby Gillespie!!!!... And all I remember about Kasparov is that he is sooooooo pale - the palest man in the word - looks like he is in need of a good blood transfusion!!!...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Bobby Gillespie: best thing he did in his career was play drums for the JAMC in their early days. And let's face it, it wasn't the most demanding of positions...

Kasparov has some interesting things to say...and he doesn't undercut them by ranting about oddball shit at every turn! I never noticed that he was pale...then, I don't tend to notice a lot of things...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Well he's a bit of a shambles of a man but Primal Scream are good... Who is/are JAMC???...

As for Kasparov maybe i'm thinking of someone else - there definitely used to be a very pale chess playing champion I remember though - that was back in the 90's... I'm not exactly a chess aficionado lol!!!... :P
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

JAMC = The Jesus & Mary Chain

Perhaps you're thinking of Karpov? He had a reputation for being pale. He also apparently never showered.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

lol - No, I think i'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on this one so i'll just leave it alone now hahaha!!!...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Ok.

So back to religion.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

oh this was about religion???... oh yeah... I thought it was about chess!!!... :shock: :roll: :lol: Well, i'm not very religious... And even though you're not anymore, is your mum still???!!!...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Nah, though she sometimes talks about wanting to get back to church.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

ah and maybe you could join her???!!!...
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Fuck no.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

O K!....