Suede play new album ‘Autofiction’ in full at secret London show as Crushed Kid

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

6th September 2022
Posing as a new band, Brett Anderson told the packed-out Moth Club: "It's a long way to the top of the line-up, but we're gonna make it!"
Suede surprised fans by playing a secret London club show last night (Monday September 5), performing new album ‘Autofiction’ in full under the pseudonym ‘Crushed Kid’.
Rumours of the show spread after NME obtained photos of gear being loaded into the intimate 300-capacity London venue with the words ‘SUEDE LONDON’ branded on the carrying cases. Ticketing website Dice noted that Moth Club was hosting the debut show from unknown act Crushed Kid, who are also set to perform at The Deaf Institute in Manchester this evening (September 6).
The latter venue describes Crushed Kid as a “brand sparkling new post punk band”. ‘Crushed Kid’ could also be viewed as a synonym for ‘Suede’.
With tickets sold out, fans gathered at Moth Club before Suede promptly took to the stage at 9pm and burst into recent single ‘She Still Leads Me On’.
“We are Crushed Kid,” said frontman Brett Anderson as he greeted the audience. “Thank you for coming. We love you so much.”
After the punky rush of ‘Personality Disorder’ and recent single ’15 Again‘, Anderson noted the intimacy of the venue and said: “It’s fucking loud, and it’s fucking hot. We’ve got a long way to go”.
Later introducing ‘What Am I Without You’, Anderson said: “This next song is quite special. I wrote it about you. It’s about the audience. I asked the question every artist has to ask themselves: ‘What am I without you?’ I’m nothing without you.”
Closing the set with a performance of new album closer ‘Turn Off Your Brain And Yell’, Anderson explained: “We have been Crushed Kid. You have been absolute amazing. Thank you for putting up with us. It’s a long way to the top of the line-up, but we’re gonna make it!”
Suede played:
‘She Still Leads Me On’
‘Personality Disorder’
’15 Again’
‘The Only Way I Can Love You’
‘That Boy on the Stage’
‘Drive Myself Home’
‘Black Ice’
‘Shadow Self’
‘It’s Always the Quiet Ones’
‘What am I Without You?’
‘Turn off Your Brain and Yell’
Suede will perform live as Crushed Kid again at Manchester’s Deaf Institute tonight (September 6).
Crushed Kid shared their first single ‘Shadow Of My Former Self’ on SoundCloud last month. On that same day 25 years prior, Suede’s ‘Implement Yeah!’ B-Side received its live debut at Reading Festival 1997.
During an interview with NME in May, frontman Brett Anderson described ‘Autofiction’ – the follow-up to 2018’s ‘The Blue Hour’ – as Suede’s “punk record, and we’re fucking proud of it”.
He explained: “I wanted to come back and make something that felt a little bit more raw, a little bit more angry, a little bit more nasty.”
Suede release ‘Autofiction’ on September 16, while also embarking on a UK record shop tour later this month before a run of intimate UK and European dates take place in October – you can see the band’s upcoming schedule below.

SEPTEMBER
15 – Banquet Records, Kingston (live performance)
16 – Rough Trade East, Shoreditch (live performance)
17 – Crash Records/Brudenell Social Club, Leeds (live performance)
18 – Rough Trade / Fleece, Bristol (live performance)
19 – HMV, Liverpool (signing and Q&A)
19 – HMV, Manchester (signing)
20 – Bear Tree Records, Sheffield (signing)
20 – Rough Trade, Nottingham (signing)
21 – Truck Records, Oxford (signing)
21 – Fopp, Cambridge (signing)
22 – Vinilo, Southampton (signing)
22 – HMV, Portsmouth (signing)

OCTOBER
5 – Electric Ballroom, London
6 – Electric Ballroom, London
8 – Melkweg – Oude Zaal, Amsterdam
10 – La Maroquinerie, Paris
11 – Gloria-Theatre, Cologne
12 – Gruenspan, Hamburg
https://www.nme.com/news/music/suede-cr ... F0fgThuZL8
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: Suede play new album ‘Autofiction’ in full at secret London show as Crushed Kid

Post by sunshine »

Tue 6 Sep 2022 10.11 BST
Suede review – secret gig as Crushed Kid is extremely loud and incredibly close
Matching the garage-y sound of their new record to a 300-capacity venue, this show is a euphoric return to basics
Dorian Lynskey
This was supposed to be a secret. The name on the bill is Crushed Kid, described as a “brand sparkling new post-punk band”, but there’s a remarkable number of Suede T-shirts in the room and no audible gasps of surprise when the Britpop pioneers (who reunited to great effect in 2013) take to the stage. The grapevine must be very efficient.
Moth Club, a 300-capacity ex-servicemen’s club backroom with a backdrop of chintzy tassels in which Simon Gilbert’s drumstick gets briefly ensnared, is unusually small for Suede, but they do like to start again. They stretch out (or break up), then snap back to basics. It happened with 1996’s Coming Up and 2013’s Bloodsports, and now again with new album Autofiction, hard on the heels of their debut single’s 30th anniversary. While their last album, The Blue Hour, featured strings, field recordings and spoken word, Autofiction sounds like five men in a room making a handsome racket, as if casting a spell to ward off middle-aged complacency. Hence the frantic intimacy of the Moth Club. For the first time in many years, Suede are extremely loud and incredibly close.
On the album, the songs’ debt to a certain strand of post-punk is more obvious, with Cure basslines and Cult guitars (leather-jacketed keyboardist Neil Codling actually looks like he’s in the Cult), but the venue’s rough acoustics give them a garage-rock spin. With eyes closed, you might sometimes mistake them for the young Horrors. The taut songwriting shines through though: 15 Again is a barbed anthem, That Boy on the Stage a flashback to their falsetto glam-rock roots, It’s Always the Quiet Ones a magnificent rush.
Singer Brett Anderson has talked of feeling diminished by lockdown, unplugged from the electricity of adoration, and he looks to be recharging before our eyes. Despite the album’s undertow of fiftysomething angst, he’s ageing as smoothly as Hugh Grant, all cheekbones and fringe, in a white shirt that’s translucent with sweat by song four. He introduces the fabulously overripe What Am I Without You? as “a love song to the audience. I’m nothing without you.” When he crouches down, arms outstretched to the faithful, one thinks of David Bowie’s Rock’n’Roll Suicide: “Gimme your hands, cause you’re wonderful.”
Suede wrap up after just 50 minutes, following the cathartic lose-yourself manifesto Turn Off Your Brain and Yell, and exit via the crowd with a buzz of elation. An encore of songs from their urgent, hungry debut would have been an apt bonus but perhaps that would have diluted the purity of the concept. Anderson sustains the pseudo-pretence to the last. “We’re Crushed Kid,” he says with a grin. “Hopefully we’ll see you again. It’s a long way to the top of the ladder but we’re going to climb it.”
The acid test of a gig like this is to imagine if this really were an unknown new band with no reputation to trade on. What would you think? On this ferocious showing, you’d tell your friends they’ll go far.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... Y1ODokHXyo
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: Suede play new album ‘Autofiction’ in full at secret London show as Crushed Kid

Post by sunshine »

Tuesday September 06 2022, 12.00pm BST, The Times
Suede review — high-energy punk romp for the fan faithful
Moth Club, E9
Lisa Verrico
★★★★☆
Suede playing the back room of a pub? This supposedly secret show was billed as being by a hot new post-punk band called Crushed Kid, but you can’t keep anything hush-hush these days. Fans twigged and the 300- capacity Moth Club was crammed before the familiar five-piece squeezed on to the tiny stage.
Low-key maybe, but this was a gig with lofty ambitions. The band’s frontman Brett Anderson has hailed Suede’s imminent ninth studio album, Autofiction, as “our punk record” — hence the pub and a point to prove with a high-energy romp through all 11 new songs, in order, with no encore or old hits.
Anderson’s fringe told its own story. Cut to just below his eyes — albeit significantly thinner than in Britpop’s heyday — it bounced with him during the punchy opener She Still Leads Me On and was blown dramatically into a quiff when he crouched down to face an electric fan. So far, so old Suede.
By the second song, Personality Disorder, however, it was stuck awkwardly to his face with sweat that also visibly poured down his chest, exposed by an unbuttoned shirt, as he wailed lyrics about a world in crisis in a semi-spoken drawl in debt to Mark E Smith. Punk at a push, perhaps. It’s more New York Dolls meets Duran Duran.
For a 54-year-old father whose wild days are long behind him, Anderson certainly put in the effort and, still whippet thin, looked the part. He was down on his knees so often, out of sight to all but the front few rows, that fans further back frequently wondered if he had fallen off stage. During the glam-rock stomp The Only Way I Can Love You, he had to curtail his pogoing when his head came perilously close to the ceiling.
Black Ice was a sexy standout with lyrics about driving in the dark with your hands off the wheel that will be howled back when Suede play more small shows next month. Less successful was What Am I Without You?, an ode to the fans who have stuck with Suede through thick and thin.
“I am nothing without you!” declared Anderson before delivering his most dramatic vocal of the night. The problem? It was set to a song in search of a tune. A knowing nod to punk rock perhaps.
Tonight at Deaf Institute, Manchester — billed as Crushed Kid; September 15, Pryzm, Kingston upon Thames; October 5 and 6, Electric Ballroom, London
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sued ... -69j9ngl5v
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

6 September 2022 • 1:48pm
Suede, review: a joyously rampaging set from a band reborn
4/5
Performing at the tiny MOTH Club under the name Crushed Kid, Brett Anderson and co delivered an all-new set with real passion
By
Neil McCormick,
Secret gig: Brett Anderson performs at the MOTH Club
“It’s a long way to the top of the ladder, but we’re going to climb it!” the singer of Crushed Kid bullishly proclaimed at the rackety conclusion of their debut gig. Well, there’s nothing wrong with showing a bit of ambition. Indeed, with his skinny frame, perfect cheekbones and immaculate floppy fringe, pouring heart and soul into a set of gritty, soaring, garage guitar anthems, you might well agree that this cocky upstart had all the makings of a rock star, if he wasn’t already one....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what- ... 4RE9pqaMus
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

6th Sep 2022
Brett Anderson: I don’t want Suede to be a ‘heritage act’
By Robert Dex@RobDexES

Suede frontman Brett Anderson says he has no interest in turning the band into a “heritage act” as they played a set of brand new songs at a secret gig to a few hundred fans.
The band – playing under the name Crushed Kid – surprised the 300-strong crowd at the Moth Club in Hackney on Monday night by running through the track listing for their forthcoming album Autofiction.
Anderson said the record was the band’s “punk” album and the gig in the sort of small, sweaty venue where they started out was an attempt to “remember what was exciting in the first place” about being in a band.
He said: “There’s an element of theatre about it.
“It’s why we are doing it under a different name. It just chimes with the record as a more stripped back, starker, more primal record and it’s good for you to throw away and destroy your own ego a bit.
“It’s good for you to get your hands dirty.”
He said the choice of a small indie venue was “not a nostalgic thing”, adding: “It’s not like we want to be the sort of band we were in 1992.
“Of course I have fond memories of those times but I don’t want to go back there. But there is something of that energy and that contact with the audience I really love and I try to recreate that even when we’re playing much bigger places.
“I hate when you play big festivals or big shows and the audience is miles away behind a barrier and you’ve got cameras in your face. I always try to instigate contact with the audience, a flow of energy between the performance and the audience because that’s a really key part of our show.
“I’ve always thought the key point of live music is you interact with the audience and audience feeds off the energy and there a loop going on.”
The frontman said the “punk” approach to making the record was not an attempt to “ape a genre” but more about performing with “a lack of respect”.
He said: “Rock records we made in the past I made as a 20 something man that I’m not anymore.
“I’m perfectly accepting of that. It’s an interesting thing for a man of 55 to talk about his anxieties and hang ups in the form of a rock record, I think it’s quite an interesting thing.
“What tends to happen is when you get bands still carrying on is that they’re playing in their back catalogue and they’re heritage acts. What we’re doing today and what our artistic drive is about is creating new music.
“I’m not interested in being a heritage act that just plays old songs and that’s all we do. That would be a living death for me and just utterly boring.”
The band started making the record in 2018 and Anderson says the intervention of lockdown allowed them time to write more songs and eventually make a better record.
He said: “I think it would have been a weaker record if we had released it at the time.
“We wrote probably 50 songs for this record, sometimes they get recycled and sometimes they die. It’s just part of the process and I try not to get too precious about it.
“I’m able to be a bit more objective about my own songs, I think you have to be as you get older.”
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... XdyLUjSC-w