How did you get into Suede?

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!

Hi, I'm a Suede fan and I'm from the class of...:

Suede
53%
Dog Man Star
9%
Coming Up
25%
Sci-Fi Lullabies
No votes
Head Music
3%
A New Morning
No votes
Singles
No votes
The Tears
3%
Brett solo
6%
Bernard solo
No votes

Total votes: 32

metalmickey

Re: How did you get into Suede?

Post by metalmickey »

Great topic and I'm so pleased seing how this forum (and the website) has come back to life again! :D

My first incounter with Suede was around 92/93. A friend of mine got this cd with various artists from a Kellogs All-bran cereal box, and one of the first tracks on it was 'So Young'. We listened to it over and over again, and talked about how funny the singer's voice sounded hehe :D A while after, I noticed that my older sister actually had the debut album, but I didn't really realize how great this band was untill she bought Dog Man Star :) Soon after, I began buying copies of my own, and I was hooked :wink: My sister then went to see Suede in 1996 at the Midtfyns Festival, and again at Roskilde in 1997. I had to wait till I was 16 in 1999, where the first shows I got to see were the 3 gigs at Roskilde '99 :)
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

stop bashing ANM lol....!!! :roll: :evil: :mrgreen:

All great stories btw!!! My first gig was V99 and couldn't believe they played 'Chemistry' (one of my very favourite songs when I first got into Suede so I was stunned at getting to hear it live..... And the clap along end of 'She's In Fashion' was immense too!!!
Brettspiel
Passenger (Business Class)

Post by Brettspiel »

mark wrote:stop bashing ANM lol....!!! :roll: :evil: :mrgreen:

!
so you love it then?

I try to imagine what it was like when it came out. for you fans , I mean.

I like Oceans and Lost in TV... a bit of Obsessions and Beautiful loser... that's it. Lonely Girls, Astrogirl One Hit to The Body are crap!

some say (my husband - bad guy) the pause before Oceans is the best about it. :roll:
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

for me ANM def is the weekest Suede-record, but I dunno...

when you for example name "Lonely Girls" I had to say yes, but then a few weeks ago I read the lyrics and I realised that they actually aren'r that bad; in fact I like them. It's just I never realised it...

it's really weird with ANM. Maybe it just lacks that special touch, I don't know how to describe it.

It's like "plashing" without a highlight that really catches you. The songs are good, it's all nice, but it's not hauting or anything.

ah and Oceans is great!! Love that one... even the arrangements and all
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Ok it isn't the best album but Astrogirl is one of the best songs on it - anyone who says otherwise is WRONG lol!!!! :shock: :D :twisted: And I quite like Lonely Girls too....!!

Maybe I am a bit too positive in my opinion lol and I admit compared to the earlier stuff it is isn't groundbreaking but there are one or two crackers (obsessions, lost in tv, astrogirl) and the rest are ok....!!!

Anyway ANM was bashed enough the first time round so no retrospective bashing!!!! I respect all your opinions but you are WRONG lol!!!! :roll: :lol: :wink: I seem to remember when fans were asked to rate the songs at 'the other place' when it first came out they all gave pretty high marks - then gradually for some reason people's opinion's started changing and the bashing started.... I remember when I first heard the album I was a little overenthusiatic and did say it was potentially better than CU!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I guess i've had to revise that opinion a bit since then!!! - especially as I am a CU era boy!!!! :D

Simon should've definitely been on the album without doubt though....
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

which other b-sides belong to ANM?

Simon is excellent, yes.
disco bunny
Flight attendant

Post by disco bunny »

Positivity: One Love, Simon, Superstar, Cheap, Colours, Campfire Song

Obsession: Cool Thing, Instant Sunshine, UFO, Rainy Day Girl, Hard Candy, ABC Song

:mrgreen:

Love Simon as well!

well actually I also like ANM, but not as much as the other 4... :roll:
Brettspiel

Post by Brettspiel »

I love Cheap!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Superstar/One Love :D :D :D
Claudia
Co-Pilot

Post by Claudia »

ANM had its share of bashing on the time of release! There were extremes of love and hate among fans...

Ahh the b-side of ANM... they're my pleasant little gems, I mean they might not be masterpieces but it feels good to listen to them :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

it was my first album in England... loved every bit, especially The Depot rehearsal... was it on the positivity DVD?
Jan
Pilot

Post by Jan »

Those were the days!
Attachments
The Depot
The Depot
7.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 13477 times
some albino

Post by some albino »

First thing I heard and saw of them was the Animal Nitrate video. It was so unlike anything that was on back in the nineties, they looked so androgynous compared to all the hairy grunge bands, in fact it felt like there was a band that finally said something about myself.

Next thing I heard was Stay Together, and I thought that was such a brilliant single, that I decided I wouldn't let slip by this chance to adore a band, before they would fall apart, like The Smiths did. So next I bought all the music and singles, that were out.

One of the most thrilling moments was hearing Trash for the first time on the radio. Indeed, there was no internet like we know now, and you literally had to wait till they played it on the radio.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

yeah, the excitement was greater
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

"in a future world, with an astrogirl, one on one is all you need" "and the sky goes on and on for you and me" :D :D :D

Just listened to it - I LOVE that song - how can anyone say it's crap or boring???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: