Still Life; which version do you prefer?

Topics in this forum must be about Suede.
Discuss, ask, swap, worship here, as long as it is about Suede!

Which arrangement?

Acoustic
11%
Strings
89%

Total votes: 9

SoGone
Flight attendant

Still Life; which version do you prefer?

Post by SoGone »

For me, there's no comparison, though a lot of people seem to swear by the original arrangement...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Re: Still Life; which version do you prefer?

Post by mark »

I just like the album version most with the full orchestra - I guess that's the strings version lol!!!!
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

Strings. Sounds triumphant and epic as fuck.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Yeah the album version for my funeral - as I said long before Mr Barnett!!! :mrgreen: Wow this poll was only a month ago but I don't remember it at all - scary!!!! :shock:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...I read this book a while ago, with a title along the lines of "Britpop! The Demise of English Rock"...basically, the guy's theory was that everything Suede did after their first three singles was crap...

He basically made DMS out to be this unqualified disaster, and his description of Still Life was something like "unbelievably camp," compared to the acoustic version Bernard and Brett originally performed...

:shock:
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

The guy who wrote that then is obviously a complete prick! - everyone knows Suede was an amazing album but that DMS was simply an epic masterpiece - and that CU is one of the very best pop/rock albums ever made!!! Also even though both HM (which I actually love a great deal) and ANM are slightly patchy, they're still way better than many others are capable of offering up in the music market!!!! So to say that it was over after the first three singles is nonsense!!! How he can say that when creatively they still had DMS to come and commercially their very best with CU... He obviously knows nothing about music!!! Now please don't tell me it was written by a journalist I might actually have previously liked???!!!! :shock: :(

And 'Still Life' unbelievably camp???!!! Well a heartfelt ballad with powerful vocals backed by an orchestra is hardly fucking 'YMCA' or 'It's Raining Men' is it???!!!! :evil: :shock: What a fucking dickhead this guy really must be!!!!! :roll:
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

Brit Pop, like many other movements that quickly fizzle out and die, produced a mix of very good and very bad music in a very short space of time. The demise of English rock? Nah.
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Haha, Mark, he was one of those people who slagged off Coming Up because Brett decided to dress the gang up in black leather and to recruit two members whose primary experience with music was attending Suede gigs (yes, he actually used that "argument"!).

It was amusing too, because one of his proofs of DMS' failure was its relatively low chart placing (and its singles relative flops) compared to their early material...but then he complains about the tendency of Britpop bands to place commercial success over artistic quality! I'm still scratching my head over that particular contradiction...

You don't want to hear his comments on Stay Together. :D

And I'm not one for genres (too arbitrary, limiting, and pointless), but Britpop is where it's at. :)
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

Yeah well britpop, indie, alternative whatever I just like what I like - that guy sounds a knob and it's a clear contradiction as you said!!! I wouldn't call DMS being a top 5 album a failure but as you pointed out it was more of an artistic statement than anything else!!!... What a fool!!! :roll:
Marquis

Post by Marquis »

I always find it interesting to know that Still LIfe was supposed to be on their first album, but they just could not afford recording it in the right conditions, and had to wait for DMS to record it
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

really??! :shock: :?
Marquis

Post by Marquis »

yes, it's unexpected but true... i find it interesting to imagine how we would like this song if it was part of the first album
:?:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

...although I don't think a transition from Animal Lover into Still Life would really work, I'd be up for replacing The Next Life with...well, just about anything from that era except maybe The Big Time.

The debut's my favorite album, but man...I really don't like that song. :shock:
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

OMG u have to be joking?!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: - The Next Life is one of the greatest songs they ever made - probably the best thing on the debut - simple, heartfelt, touching, sad, beautiful... it carries so much emotion, yearning, desperation, a desire to escape... It sums up about every feeling of need to move on and do something different in your life - be with someone, go somewhere, move on from your past and of course the idea of seeing someone u haved loved who has passed away in another place and another time... I love it for those things, those feelings and thoughts - it can have many different feelings and emotions - maybe it is just that i love a big but simple song - and it is sung and played so brilliantly - I can never tire of that song or speak highly enough of it....!!! or maybe i am just a sensitive guy!!!! :P :roll: :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

just about