Solo Brett Vs Suede

For all your discussions about Brett's solo career.
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Solo Brett Vs Suede

Post by car wash *unt »

Am I the only one who is not that excited about the Suede reunion and much rather see Brett doing some solo work?
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: Solo Brett Vs Suede

Post by sunshine »

there are pros, there are cons
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Post by car wash *unt »

Don't get me wrong, I love Suede, after all I pretty much grew up listening to them, and they're very important to me but it is almost as if they're doing it just for the money or something.
I mean what's the point in yet another greatest hits cd?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

You'd rather see him doing solo work???!! :lol: Well I only laugh because that's exactly what he's doing - his 4th solo album will be out early next year and I for one can not wait for that - the new songs sound great and I love his solo work and also the stuff he did with The Tears - but Suede of course are special and if u had been at RAH back in March u would be excited about the reformation too - they are playing better than they ever have right now and I am so fucking excited about the o2 next month too - for me there is much to be excited and thankful about - both with Suede and Brett solo...

The greatest hits was to make the most of the current re-interest in Suede - perhaps for new fans of Suede who may get caught up in all the renewed media attention they are getting right now - this is the album THEY wanted to compile to show the best of their career - not what a record company demanded of them - and if it's a cash in so what - it's all good publicity for the upcoming european tour and o2 show - I think it's a good thing and with enough interest and if the band are creatively inclined there may follow a great new studio album - who knows... They are taking it a step at a time... Like many people I am very excited - truly the live shows right now are amazing and well - the audience and media response proves it was a good thing to do - both for the band themselves and the music scene - because when Suede split up they fizzled out - now they are back with a bang!!!!

And don't worry about his solo career - I think right now despite all the Suede stuff going on it is actually the most important thing in Brett's life at the moment and he is very, VERY focussed on continuing with the solo stuff - and as I said it's all sounding good to me... yes I love solo Brett but there is still space for Suede too!!! Let's embrace it all!!!! :)
Gareth
Passenger (Economy)

Post by Gareth »

Are there any examples of the new songs online anywhere?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuhmj5EkaOo - Unsung (unmixed studio version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6gS-o0Nes - Unsung live at Sonorama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xujC1OSN9LA - Brittle Heart live in Hong Kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eRDqI0nSkk - Unstoppable live in Hong Kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxT0MuDDV6Q - This Must Be Where It Ends live in Hong Kong
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

car wash *unt wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love Suede, after all I pretty much grew up listening to them, and they're very important to me but it is almost as if they're doing it just for the money or something.
I mean what's the point in yet another greatest hits cd?

Isn't this technically their first "GH" CD? And at least it doesn't have any cool bonus tracks, so the non-obsessives like me have absolutely no temptation to shell out for it. :D

It sounds callous to say, but I don't really care if they're in it for the money or not, just as long as the music sounds good. I'd love DMS just as much if I stumbled upon an interview where Brett said something like "I wrote 'The Wild Ones' because I thought it would sell."

Oh, but yeah, back to the original question, I'll take Suede or The Tears over Brett solo anyday...like Moz or Ian Brown, he needs that second half.

::Ducks from the stones thrown his way::
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

make the most of it while it lasts!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

er no it isn't technically their first greatest hits cd - that would be 'Singles'!!! This technically is their first 'best of' - not just singles, the best of all their songs!!! :mrgreen:

and who cares about the fact it is their second 'hits' compliation - many ac ts have like a new 'best of' every other year lol!!! Now that IS just ridiculous - btw Elton has ANOTHER 'best of' out in the new year!!!! :shock: :roll:

His best compilation of course is the limited edition 3cd spanning his entire career... but that's another story...!!!

oh and btw Andrew u SHOULD buy it - the new remastering is cool - I think the bass and drum sound is markedly enhanced and Saturday Night almost sounds like a different song altogether in the mix!!! Most importantly the slip case, design, sleeves notes and photo's make it a great package - so shell out boy!!! anyway at £8.95 it's hardly expensive - even for a poor smalltown american boy!!! :) :wink:

Oh and u don't need to duck any stones from me!!! I agree about Suede BUT - I also think HCTT is a great album and I was literally obsessed with it throughout 2005!!! It was my album to get drunk and party to!!! I'd stay up drinking and singing into the mid morning listening to that on my days off lol!!! :lol: :shock: :o :roll: :oops: Oh and I love all 3 of his solo albums - weirdly even though people tend to say the debut album was his weakest I LOVE many of the songs on it - LID, DAR, Intimacy, TTW, SR, TIK, SFMF... And when I saw him live at Shepherds Bush in January it actually felt as though when he got to singing those songs from that album like Love Is Dead and To The Winter - well they sounded so great and epic and familar that that has almost become like his own 'hits'!!! bizarrely Slow Attack although really great seemed his weakest moments live - Wilderness and the Bret Anderson songs blew me away!!! that is where the gig happened for me!!! But Leave Me Sleeping is awesome live!!! :) I think u could make a convincing album just from the last songs on each album - next life, still life, saturday night, crack in the union jack (or swap for he's gone!), oceans, a love as strong as death, song for my father, p. marius, leave me sleeping!!! :)
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

yeah, buy it!
car wash *unt
Passenger (Economy)

Post by car wash *unt »

Well I got this CD as a gift from my best friend. I wouldn't have had it otherwise. What for.
Wish they made a live album or a dvd- could've been a better idea.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

apparently there is more somewhere... someone said some more releases next year... but, will it be the reissue of the albums we have been hearing about for a while?
and there is simon's dvd which should be coming out next year too.
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

who knows...
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

they know!
mark
Flight attendant