charles and camilla

Anything goes, all topics are allowed in this forum!
For general chat and meetups, please post here.
sunshine
Flight attendant

Re: charles and camilla

Post by sunshine »

i suppose you protest for the things that are more important for you...
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

yeah true... :)
urchin

Post by urchin »

I agree about the rich students and the ones who waste the opportunity, and I agree there are worse things going on in the world, but.. if I had a been a student now I would be on that protest. Financially I barely managed to scrape my way through university as it was.. and there are loads of students who come from poor families who just won't be able to get the education they want because of this.. It could end up that only rich kids can afford to get a higher education, and that's pretty scary really. Believe me, I've been irritated by overpriviliged students in the past too.. I used to live in Edinburgh and you'd see them driving fkn sports cars and shit.. but, I dunno, maybe I'm a commie or something.. I really believe this is a terrible thing, and I'm proud that they're protesting it. And again, no offence, Im not trying to piss you off.. Im generally a hippy at heart :D
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

in this country (not like in mine or France), they do not know how to protest... they think it is probably too primitive... and that is why they normally just don't mind all the shit that is thrown at them!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

well it doesn't piss me off really that much other than I think it's bizarre to be protesting when amongst all the scare mongering from what i've read in fact the students will be better off with the new system than they currently are... despite an overall rise the money will not have to be paid back until they are actually in well paid high level employment after they have graduated and if they can not obtain a job where they will be earning such high wages to afford to pay back the debt they won't have to pay it back... maybe I am wrong on this but that is the official line i've read and to be honest I can't see what's unreasonable about that - in fact it sounds more than generous!!!.... Other than the fact that the Liberal Democrats said they would not raise tuition fees which granted was a stupid promise to make when clearly no government could achieve it... but really when every part of british society is being forced into cuts because of the foolish wastefulness of the previous givernment in a climate of ecomonic turmoil really this was not unexpected... And to be honest I really don't think the Labour government can offer any reasonable alternative - a graduate tax???!!! you think that would be an acceptable alternative???!!! Every part of society is having to make allowances because of the awful economic mess we find ourselves in and unfortuantely that means students too!!! I'd cut off the balls off the bankers myself!!! They are the real villains in this... But the reality is that no matter what policitical party was in power there would have to be a 're-allignment' of ambitions in terms of student financing and from all the arguements i've heard this seems to be the fairest one - even if services cut and rises in fees or taxation isn't fair full stop - that's life - and as I said every single part of society is having to carry this without complaint... god i do sound like a moaning old bastard but hmmm - I guess if it makes them happy in this protest that's fine but really this will happen no matter what and it seems the best way of a bad situation... When these kids graduate and they are making plenty of money and have to pay back a percentage of it while in highly paid jobs i am sure they will not be complaining so much - they need to look at it maybe in more of a long term view rather than short term... the protest seems more about betrayal of the Lib Dems than anything - let's face it this is a tory policy and they are actually coming away from this whole thing relatively unscathed!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

maybe i have it all wrong so perhaps I shouldn't speak of it any more as I know nothing lol!!!! God I must be getting old because all I can think of is while there smashing everything up they are wasting more government money and making the situation worse!!! d'uh - I thought these kids were meant to be clever!!!!??? :?
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

As I said sun, if something was worth protesting about it's a different thing but this seems like a nonsense.... I'd rather see people protest about the real injustices in the world - for people that are too sick, or weak, or repressed to be able to protest... democracy is a wonderful thing - used affectively!!!! :)

god and don't even go there on french strikes/protests - they would protest if their baguettes weren't fresh enough!!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

:shock:
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

urchin wrote:It could end up that only rich kids can afford to get a higher education, and that's pretty scary really.

Exactly!!!!!!!!
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

no, no, no - read my words - u only have to pay back the fees AFTER you get the kind of highly paid job you would expect after a uni education... and if you don't get that type of job you don't have to pay it back... You only have to pay back the debt after you reach a certain acceptable level of pay after you have gained employment post grad - how is that unfair???!!!! if you come from a poor family it doesn't matter because once you have a great job because of the education you have been given only then will you be expected to pay back the moeny - the debt is based entirely on the money you earn post degree - that is what I have been led to believe anyway - unless Mr Clegg is lying of course!!!! Which is always a possibility!!!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

Yeah, I dunno...that just sounds fishy...

It might just make more sense to tax people at a certain income level much higher, rather than establishing some sort of "conditional debt" on students...
mark wrote:Everything that's wrong with sunshine can be explained by the fact that he doesn't eat meat!!!!
mark
Flight attendant

Post by mark »

er no... i think anyone who has not been to university should not have to pay for university education so I don't agree with that - many of the top businessmen have worked bloody hard without a uni education so why should they pay for those who have had that priviledge???
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

well... a big debate!
SoGone
Flight attendant

Post by SoGone »

mark wrote:i think anyone who has not been to university should not have to pay for university education so I don't agree with that
So people who don't drive shouldn't pay taxes that go towards maintaining roads? People who have never had to call the fire department shouldn't have to pay firemen's salaries? People who don't have kids shouldn't have to pay taxes that support primary schools?
mark
Flight attendant

!!

Post by mark »

fucking hell yet again you are talking shit andrew - no in this country the only people who pay towards roads are those who actually OWN CARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! d'uh!!!! it's called 'road tax', and only those who actually have cars pay for it... man i don't know what sort of fucked up country you live in but it's not one i'm interested in!!!!! and of course as with the nhs and fire departments u have to pay for it because u may need it but d'uh - really how fucking thick are you??? i know ur american but please stop showing just how stupid you are - those are things that anyone may need to use - universities and roads are specific to only those that use it - the fire department and nhs are things that people may never use but that are open to use by anyone - the others are specific to certain society groups - man for all your education it appears really u know nothing at all!!!!! and of course people should pay taxes twoards schools because that is something everyone has had use of... god andrew u do talk out of ur arse right???!!!!
sunshine
Flight attendant

Post by sunshine »

i'm glad i don't drive!